What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fm-150 on angle valve io-360 or 390 RV-7

jhiggins

I'm putting an io-390 in an RV-7A. I am trying to avoid complications concerning the fitting of the snorkle, and clearance with the bottom of the cowl. I understand that the FM-150 pushes the snorkle forward about 7/16" because of the spacer required and therefore requires a little modification. It is my understanding that the Precision doesn't do this. Has anybody run an FM-150 in an RV-7 or 7A with an angle valve engine? (Apparently the physical dimensions are the same between the angle valve io-360 and io-390. My second question is: were there any clearance issues on the bottom of the RV-7 cowl because the fm-150 required different cable routing?
Thanks

Jim Higgins

Jim, why not drop the snorkel and add a ram air intake, similar to a carburated RV?

It should help you produce a little more power.

Granted mine is an 8 but I really doesn’t think there is all that much difference with the cowl clearance.

If my snorkel was pushed forward 7/16” it would not clear the lower cowl.

fm-150

I'm trying to keep things as "stock" as possible, without fiberglas rework if possible. I understand the RV-8 cowl doesn't have the clearance per Don at AFP but I think the 7 cowl is different. Also I was wondering about cables interfering with exhaust if going with FM-150

The 7 cowl has s definitely wider but I think that close in by the engine it?s going to be about the same.
Same engine dimensions same length related to prop location.
My snorkel can rub the lower cowl.

The only way you?re really going to know is fitting it up and trying it. If you already have the cowl, snorkel and engine with the FM-150 mounted. Try it.

Back