What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 seat belts / harnesses

czechsix

Well Known Member
Before I rivet in my seat belt attach lugs, I have a few questions for those who have already installed harnesses in their -14's:

1) The stock attachment lugs use 1/4" bolt holes and 1/8" spacing between the lugs. Other VAF threads indicate that this may not be sufficient for some harnesses (Hookers?) and I noticed the RV-7 plans spec a 3/16" gap. It also appears that the Crow harnesses use very short attach lugs that result in the harness chafing on the airframe lug, but those may have been older style and no longer a problem? Anyone have issues with either the spacing or bolt hole size with any brand of harnesses?

2) Has anyone experienced issues with the stick (at full aft) interfering with the rotary latch (aka 'cam lock') on a Crow or Hooker harness? In my RV-8 I had the latch & link style and while they were comfortable and secure, it was a challenge to get all the links in place before you could latch it (especially for passengers), so I'm leaning toward the more expensive rotary style in the -14...but I've seen a few reports of issues with the stick contacting or even releasing the rotary latch which protrudes further than other latching mechanisms.

3) Any thoughts on pull up vs. pull down lap belt adjustment in the -14? I was happy with the pull up adjustment in my RV-8, but also had more room between the seat and fuselage sides in that airplane compared to a side-by-side, so the adjustment ergonomics were different.

4) Has anyone had issues with the shoulder harness irritating your neck? Since the harness must come together to a single attach point above the baggage area, depending on the geometry of how they are connected it seems some people have had complaints in other side-by-side RVs. Do pads help, or do they just exacerbate the problem since they are wider than the harness itself?

5) 2" vs. 3" webbing?

Any other input, good or bad, on experiences with harnesses in the -14 are welcome...

Last edited:
I have flown in a friend?s RV-14A a number of times and have never noticed an issue with his Crow rotary latches other than the adjustment (for me) to the non-inertia shoulder belts. I bought Hooker belts with rotary latches for my RV-14A. I have not flown yet, but hope I won?t experience anything different. My belts are 1.5 inches, but the shoulder pads are 4 inches and the lap pads are 3.5 inches. Not sure what his are.

Crow

I have crow 5 point harnesses with the ratchet. They work well, I would probably skip the ratchet if I did another one. They are quite a ways behind you in the -14 which makes it hard to tighten the ratchet. I can do aero easily by just pulling the straps tight. I love everything else about the crow belts. They feel good and look good.

So no issues with installing the Crow or Hooker harnesses in the RV-14 attach lugs? No mods required?

Crow

So no issues with installing the Crow or Hooker harnesses in the RV-14 attach lugs? No mods required?
I don?t remember modding the -14 kit, but I did cut a bushing to reduce the crow mount by one bolt size.

I don?t remember modding the -14 kit, but I did cut a bushing to reduce the crow mount by one bolt size.

That makes sense, looking at Crow's website it appears they are still shipping harnesses with 1/2" attachment holes and the 14 (and probably all RVs) use 1/4" bolts to attach the belts. Would be nice if Crow would throw in some bushings with 1/2" O.D. and 1/4"I.D.

No problem with my Crows

I ordered mine thru Abby at Flightline Interiors and they fit my RV-14 perfectly. I have not flown yet, so cannot comment on any possible stick interference. Mine are 5-point restraints with the rotary latch, which is nice.

Edit/update: 25 hours into Phase I with no issues. Love the Crow restraints and rotary latch.

Last edited:
well, I posted this in the "general" section, but I got crow seat belts and the attachment fittings on the belts are not correct. At least the belts I got. The holes in the attachment are 1/4" for the lap and shoulder, when they should be 5/16" for the bushing. Then the hole in the crotch attachment is 5/16", when it is supposed to be 1/4" (no bushing).

I assume that I have to return them to get the correct holes in the attachment fittings.

Does this make sense?

any thought son this question?

3) Any thoughts on pull up vs. pull down lap belt adjustment in the -14?

I have the Crow 5 point in my 14A and it installed easily without any modifications. I told them the plane type and perhaps they did something to make it right - but it bolted right in.

I have the black round rotary latch with pull straps to tighten and it fits up great.

Has anyone had issues with the shoulder harness irritating your neck? Since the harness must come together to a single attach point above the baggage area, depending on the geometry of how they are connected it seems some people have had complaints in other side-by-side RVs. Do pads help, or do they just exacerbate the problem since they are wider than the harness itself?

For those of you who have been flying for a while with Crow harnesses, any thoughts about pads vs. no pads?

Also, the Crow order form has several options for lap belt length. Standard is 52" but you can also select 40" or 60". Has anyone found the standard length to be too short or long for a variety of passengers and seat positions?

350 hours with the standard size harness. The pads are very comfortable and seem well worth it.

I've had small kids for young eagles flights and some tall lean adults and they have all fit.

I have the Hooker’s and like them and their features. No issues installing them. I. Would pick the pull up to tighten as pulling down would be difficult. Also no problem with stick (unless you or a pax has a huge fat belly),?

Rob,

Do you have the crotch belt and if so, how did you deal with the attachment? Any issues?

Thanks - Dennis

Crow crotch belt adjustment issue

Originally posted 8/28/20 by RV6-KPTW Do you have the crotch belt and if so, how did you deal with the attachment? Any issues?
Thanks - Dennis

Just found a potential issue I wasn't anticipating > I have the Crow crotch belt with the latch type harness clasp. Am at the end of getting ready to do my first flight and was finalizing the install of seat belts.

Found that it appears that it is not possible to shorten the crotch belt length without removing about 140 8-32 screws from the left and right seat area panels to get to the crotch belt attach fitting under the seat panel.

I wasn't prepared to find that out.

I have googled Crow and do not find a contact number to see if their might possibly be another way to adjust the length of that belt > I am guessing not.

Kinda off topic but I ordered the lugs when I started the aft fuselage and back riveted them to the skins before assembly. (Thanks Tom Martin) Easier to install and a little nicer finish in high vis area.

Belts and ergonomics

There's not a simple answer to your question since much depends on leg length, seat position and which seat back recline slot is used and of course, belly size.

I'm short, 5'6", and have flown all RV models. I've seen other short pilots unable to use the console throttles which are behind their elbows and unable to fully flare during landings due to the knobby seat belt latches which are in front of a possible pudgy belly.

Taller folks shouldn't have these problems since their seats will be further back.

Suggest you sit in your plane with cushions and see how well you fit while you have a chance to arrange the rudder pedals, throttle quadrants, seat backs, etc.

Vans site - Tuf-Tow Seat belts

Has anyone tried the Tuf-tow seat belts I see on the Vans store. It looks like they have the regular buckle like on commercial airlines. Just curious if anyone has tried those. I’ve always heard Hooker and Crow were good.

Has anyone tried the Tuf-tow seat belts I see on the Vans store. It looks like they have the regular buckle like on commercial airlines. Just curious if anyone has tried those. I’ve always heard Hooker and Crow were good.

We purchased and installed the Vans harnesses and have been very happy with them. I liked the softer strap material (similar to automobile ones) and also don’t like the large rotary release on Crows.

Back