What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintenance Records Organization EAB

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
When I bought my 172 the 35+ years of 'Maintenance Records' was in a state of despair. Everything was shoved into some canvas satchel type thing with no filing or organization discipline applied. I spent a good 6 hours or so sorting through the madness and organizing 4" binder separated by specific tabs and what not.

I figured since I actually have an Engine book for my project I might as well go ahead and put together a binder for it. There are some obvious sections I have for my 172 (STC, ADs, 8130's, ect..) that I don't necessarily need for an EAB. Here's what I'm thinking of having and wanted to see if I'm missing anything.

1 - Aircraft Information (Special Airworthiness Certification, Registration, Operating Limits and Weight and Balance)
2 - Service Bulletins (All the Vans stuff, anything else that comes out on prop, engine, ect.)
3 - Airframe Logbook (Besides each book I'll have a pocket for receipts or other paperwork.)
4 - Engine Logbook
5 - Propeller Logbook
6 - Avionics Logbook (Came in the set I bought, I guess with all the avionics in the plane it might as well have it's own logbook.)
7 - Operators Handbook (Might do up a POH, or have a checklist

Besides these Maintenance Records I will maintain all the plans and specifics to the build.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Logbooks

Must be a good feeling when you have to start thinking about these things. Means you're almost done... I've enjoyed going through your build site. I'm doing logbook similar to yours but planning on airframe, engine, SB/AD and prop in one binder. I will have seperate file pockets for engine 8130's and avionics will have its own binder (G900X), its a big binder
I will make a small binder version for POH, OL and WB kept in plane.

I still have a ways to go on my journey, but every week it's getting closer and closer to be done. I also have access to a flying RV-10 now and that is a motivator in itself.

Should of mentioned I'll have copies of the Cert, OL, W&B and stuff in the plane as well. I just will keep the originals in the Maintenance Binder.. or vice versa.

I'm putting the 8130 type tags in zip pockets in each category. For example since I went QB I got a mess of them for the parts they completed and so that is in a binder in the 'Airframe logbook' section. Oil Analysis and stuff will go in the Engine section.

Motivator

I use a friend's flying -10 for motivation as well. I started putting an engine logbook together too . Going down to Watson Aero in GA end of February for an assisted engine build up and test run. Should be exciting.

Back