What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Simple plug and play interconnect board for SkyView

Pdtofly

Well Known Member
Patron
Folks,

I have been working on this for awhile, and I think I about have it done. What it is, is a simple plug and play interconnect board to connect two SkyView screens, and using simple harnesses to connect your Transponder, ADSB Receiver, GPS Receiver, two extra easy accesses to Serial 3 and 4, 5 port SkyView bus, with three axis Autopilot connectors on the hub. This is a pretty small hub. Board is 5” X 5” and in the mount, it is 5 1/2” X 6 1/2”.

It is a simple install. Mount the hub, connect the power harness to your circuit breakers, and the rest is to make simple harnesses for each module, and plug into the board, program the screen, and you are basically done.

What I am looking for, is there any interest in something like this to connect your Dynon SkyView system? Even though I have not figured out a price, but it might be somewhere around $300 for the board only assembled, but I could make it as a kit for you DIY’er if interested.

Email me at [email protected] if interested.

Brian

Last edited:
If you'd had this in 2013/2014, I'd have bought it. It's essentially a hard wired version of an Approach Fast Stack specifically for Dynon. It would have really cleaned up my wiring behind the panel. Excellent idea.

Here are the ones I developed about 10 years ago, but they are no longer in production. I sold a bunch. Dynon eventually copied the 9-pin bus, but did not copy the 15 or 25 pin bus versions which sold quite well.

I also provided the mating connectors and pins.... which dwarfed the cost of everything else. To reduce costs, the only option was to have to use China sourced components and I was not comfortable with that. In the end, it was fun, but not profitable!

AXIS-ALL-photo.jpg

Good luck with your project. It is cheap enough now to have these designs customized for every aircraft. I now Use EasyEDA and JLPCB (in China). Even with expensive DHL shipping, the boards are very economical. In the olden days, I used ExpressPCB but they didn't keep up on the design tool/library front. Eagle's design paradigm is still stuck in the 1980s [the Calma GDS-II roots are showing], and KiCad suffers from lack of integration.

Last edited:
Dynon sells a network hub: http://dynonstore.com/#!/SV-NET-HUB-SkyView-Network-Hub-with-5-Ports/p/52526499/category=13788232

If you can expand the hub to more than 5 connections, that?d be good.

Scroll,

What I have done works perfectly for what Dynon has out now. Who knows in the future. The board has 5 Hubs, which covers the two screens, EMS, ADHARS, and ARINC module. The three connectors to the right side are for the autopilot servos, one each of the Roll, Pitch, and Yaw. You use the extra ones on the screens for the COMM, AP Panel, and Knob Panel as they are normally on the side of the screens.

I just tried to make the board with a small foot print and kept it at 5" square. It would not be hard to add more if I make the board a little bit bigger. How many would you think there should be?

Brian

SkyView Hub

Where this hub is designed for the SkyView system, I have considered making one for the AFS 5000 series if there is a interest, and looking into the Garmin G3X. The Garmn is a little hard, but I have an idea.

Anyway, my board was designed for a simple plug and play install. Once you mount the hub behind the panel, you just need to make simple harnesses to connect between each screen, or module and the hub. Easy to add modules and then reprogram. Wiring diagrams are made up for each harness. There are five DB9 connectors that are for each Dynon serial port. Each connector has it own power and ground, and RS232 TX and RX. There is a few extras on a few of them. Two have 8v for the GPS RX and one has a remote input from an external GPS source. Minus that, they are all interchangeable. There are five SkyView hub connector, tied to three autopilot connectors. Autopilot connectors have their own power, the pitch and roll have there own disconnect, and so does the yaw.

The board is just the interconnection for the SkyView system, there is no audio connections, except there is the SkyView output on the Misc connector, so you can connect it to your audio panel/intercom panel.

This was just a project I made years ago, and recently brought it out of mothball. Just looking to see if there is any interest in making more boards.

Brian

Scroll,

What I have done works perfectly for what Dynon has out now. Who knows in the future. The board has 5 Hubs, which covers the two screens, EMS, ADHARS, and ARINC module. The three connectors to the right side are for the autopilot servos, one each of the Roll, Pitch, and Yaw. You use the extra ones on the screens for the COMM, AP Panel, and Knob Panel as they are normally on the side of the screens.

I just tried to make the board with a small foot print and kept it at 5" square. It would not be hard to add more if I make the board a little bit bigger. How many would you think there should be?

Brian

Brian,
You have definitely expanded the application's flexibility, and I didn't mean to take away from your efforts. On my next build (whenever that is...cue the builder's remorse), I'll look you up.

Where this hub is designed for the SkyView system, I have considered making one for the AFS 5000 series if there is a interest, and looking into the Garmin G3X. The Garmn is a little hard, but I have an idea.

Anyway, my board was designed for a simple plug and play install. Once you mount the hub behind the panel, you just need to make simple harnesses to connect between each screen, or module and the hub. Easy to add modules and then reprogram. Wiring diagrams are made up for each harness. There are five DB9 connectors that are for each Dynon serial port. Each connector has it own power and ground, and RS232 TX and RX. There is a few extras on a few of them. Two have 8v for the GPS RX and one has a remote input from an external GPS source. Minus that, they are all interchangeable. There are five SkyView hub connector, tied to three autopilot connectors. Autopilot connectors have their own power, the pitch and roll have there own disconnect, and so does the yaw.

The board is just the interconnection for the SkyView system, there is no audio connections, except there is the SkyView output on the Misc connector, so you can connect it to your audio panel/intercom panel.

This was just a project I made years ago, and recently brought it out of mothball. Just looking to see if there is any interest in making more boards.

Brian

I would be interested in the AFS Hub.

AFS 5000 Interconnect board

Looking at the wiring diagram for the AFS 5000 series system. Today, I made a few minor changes to my SkyView board to work with both systems, and now I just need to make a new harness for the primary screen to the board and new wiring interconnect diagram. It will be easier to use the Dynon modules, and not any of the AF modules as they use the SkyView bus.

Brian

Last edited:
Back