What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop or Screw the Pitot Tube?

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I have the Gretz (if my memory serves me correctly) pitot mast installed in my left wing. I'm using the Dynon heated pitot with AoA. My question is what is the best way to attach the pitot to the mast? Should I use screws, or simply pop rivet it in there? If screws, what size/type is sufficient and has good asthetics for this area?

One RV-7A that I have to look at has the pitot pop riveted to the mast. I've been flying the same Cessna 182 for over 25 years and have not ever had to remove the heated pitot but I do know the Dynon heated pitot has some design type issues going on with it last I checked that could require its removal for repair. Thoughts?

dynon

I just looked up the instructions. Tap for #6. I suggest you read them. Google Dynon pitot installation.

Last edited:
I originally used the Gretz mast and a heated pitot tube. The pitot tube casting was taped for 6-32 screws. When I up-graded to the Dynon pitot tube, I needed to drill and tap it to match the holes in the mast.

The Gretz mast was purchased years ago when building the wings and arrived already chrome plated. Over the years, the leading edge of the chrome mast showed the effects of wear and started to exhibit rust spots. When I painted the plane last year, I removed the mast, sanded off the chrome plating, and painted the mast.

Now, back to the original question: either screws or pop rivets will work. Screws make it easier for maintenance. If you need to ever drill out the pop rivets, you will need to be very careful to NOT drill so deep that you penetrate the air chamber(s) or hit any wire or heater elements.

I have never ever seen a cessna pitot pop riveted in. Likely it was redone because the screws snapped off in the original pitot. It should be removeable (bugs and dead heat elements).

Back