What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

shrunken K&N filter

Sheldon

Well Known Member
Re: K&N filter # E-3450 in 360 fab box. @ 600 hrs.

Durring this last condition inspection cleaning & re-oiling the filter, I noticed it didn't fit into the fab box like it orginally did. What? :eek: Checked the specs on the K&N filter web site.. it was smaller.. :confused: It fit correctly when first put together & didn't notice this on any earlier inspections.. So, ordered a new one from Van's... New one fits as it should..:) Also orginal one was not quite as tall as the new one hence, maybe not sealing up against the top plate quite right... I can understand that, but why it shrunk in diameter..?:(
Wonder if anyone else has this happen too, or did I miss the 'replace after blank hours' instruction...?
Sheldon

Orginal filter
DXoZNKEM50Tw8BlCmf4EuiRStAFvqyoUsovLDhm7kbU

New filter
fxFJU8cCO4IrCGDocCqy8yRStAFvqyoUsovLDhm7kbU

About 1/16 inch shorter in height, more in some places
D_Iu1yC6-57oCLKrL_eQ1iRStAFvqyoUsovLDhm7kbU

Last edited:
Same Here

I noticed the same thing in my RV-8 with an O-360 and Vans FAB. The original KN filter gradually shrunk over its service life. The shrinkage was mostly in the diameter, but a little in the height. The wear marks in the FAB tell the story. Sorry no pics, but I suspect this is the nature of the beast. The filter was replaced at 1000 hours, a reasonable service life in my opinion. When compared side by side, the 1000 hour filter was much smaller than the new unit and the new unit sealed much better.

I clean the filter using K&N sray cleaner per the instructions.. rinsing in water & letting it dry...

Ok... the instructions on the K&N cleaner bottle says 'excesive heat will shrink the cotton fiber media'.. guess drying it outside in the Az. heat a no- no.. although it wasn't in direct sunlight.. Might be the answer.. Anyway, new one in place...

Mine shrunk in diameter, making it a bear to clean and reinstall after 6-8 years. $20 and a dab of RTV later, I replaced it with a new one. I figure it is an item on the "replace as necessary" list.

Me too!

I thought it was my imagination. But, I remember initially it was a tight fit in diameter inside the fab. But, after the second cleaning per instructions and drying overnight inside the house, it is way smaller.

100ll

Shrinking filters is a common problem. I think the rubber in the filter is not compatible with 100LL.

...just want to throw in a word of caution here...and there are other threads that address this...

Be very careful about using rubber seals, gaskets, etc. in the FAB to tighten up a shrunken filter. Loose stuff can get sucked-up into the carb & the big fan up in front of the plane stops turning. :eek:

Last edited:
'Cotton fiber media' (per K&N)... wet it, dry it.. cotton shrinks.. If it does after couple (or more) cleanings & doesn't fit right, time for a new one... cheap.. Cheaper via Van's than at K&N's web site by $7.54...:D

yup they shrink

I have had several K&N filters in vehicles over the years and they do shrink over time.

K&N Filter Problems

I too had the shinkage issue. But over the course of 6 months, the loose filter litterly wore through the airbox! It had been moving around due to the shrinkage..
I had to re-fiberglass the inside/outside of the airbox bottom to correct the wear issue.
So be sure to check your airbox for wear.....

I noticed the same thing in my RV-8 with an O-360 and Vans FAB. The original KN filter gradually shrunk over its service life. The shrinkage was mostly in the diameter, but a little in the height. The wear marks in the FAB tell the story. Sorry no pics, but I suspect this is the nature of the beast. The filter was replaced at 1000 hours, a reasonable service life in my opinion. When compared side by side, the 1000 hour filter was much smaller than the new unit and the new unit sealed much better.

Back