What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 tire wear

N925JL

Patron
My tires wear unevenly, and I understand that this is normal. As I recall they wear consistently with other RV-6 that have landing gear that were factory drilled. I can't recall, however which way they wear. According to my notes they wear out the outboard side of the tire. A couple of months backed I rotated the tires to even out the wear, and now there are no treads on the outside of the tire. I have tread left on the inside, but just want to verify that this is correct before I either rotate these tires or replace them.

Thanks for your help.

JLudwig
N925JL

Just to be clear......
1.... Did you remove the tire from the rim, turn the rubber tire over and install it back on the same rim and then place it back on the same side of the aircraft that you removed it from?

2.... Or did you just slide the tire and wheel off of the axle and take it to the other side and slide it on the opposite axle?

My tires wear unevenly, and I understand that this is normal. As I recall they wear consistently with other RV-6 that have landing gear that were factory drilled. I can't recall, however which way they wear. According to my notes they wear out the outboard side of the tire. A couple of months backed I rotated the tires to even out the wear, and now there are no treads on the outside of the tire. I have tread left on the inside, but just want to verify that this is correct before I either rotate these tires or replace them.

Thanks for your help.

JLudwig
N925JL

The tires on most -6's wear more on the outside edge. So you flip the tire on the wheel and effectively double (well almost) the life of the tire.

Hey Jerry,

Stop by the hangar sometime and I will show you how they are wearing.

...but yes, they do wear on the outside(s).

Bill has his wheelpants off right now for paint and the tires are about ready for rotation.

We have found that the left one more than the right because most of the turns are counterclockwise in runup areas and the like.

I suggested to him that they both get swapped inside to out and left to right.

Does that help?

:) CJ

Hummm... My 6A wears out the inside of the right tire... And usually quite fast.. I get a pretty bad vibration at slowing to around 30-20 mph on landings.. Requires a tire on rim swap to further the time... New tires & tubes in waiting...
Sheldon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jerry,

Stop by the hangar sometime and I will show you how they are wearing.

...but yes, they do wear on the outside(s).

Bill has his wheelpants off right now for paint and the tires are about ready for rotation.

We have found that the left one more than the right because most of the turns are counterclockwise in runup areas and the like.

I suggested to him that they both get swapped inside to out and left to right.

Does that help?

:) CJ
Thanks John. This is what I remebered and you have verified that my memory was correct. TX

JL

Back