What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear fairing question

Sheldon

Well Known Member
I received an replacement fairing for my nose gear. It's different from the earlier one, in that this one (818) has a flat trailing edge makes it wider. I realize it needs to be cut off. Has anyone kept it on? Would be a trim (flying) problem?

I received an replacement fairing for my nose gear. It's different from the earlier one, in that this one (818) has a flat trailing edge makes it wider. I realize it needs to be cut off. Has anyone kept it on? Would be a trim (flying) problem?

I can't help but wonder why you would want to not remove it?

Its purpose is to give you some to clamp/cleco the trailing edge together while you fit/drill the trailing edge hinge.

As for causing a flight/aerodynamic problem?
In theory it is possible.
Any vertical surface has some aerodynamic influence on the yaw axis. If it is aft of the C.G. like like the vertical stabilizer, it is a stabilizing surface. If it is fwd of the C.G. it would be a destabilize surface (basically cancelling out some of the area on the aft vertical stabilizer).
So vertical area added fwd of the C.G. could influence yaw stability and possibly even spin recovery.
Would this small amount be enough to have much effect? Hard to say since it hasn't been tested, but without a really good reason to do so, why take the chance?

I Am planning to remove it... I was just questioning if someone flew it not removed.. and what was results..?

slightly drifting the topic

Sheldon, just FYI, if you might want to put the Anti-Splat brace on the nosegear, the fairing will fit over the version 2, but it can be tight.
You don't want to trim off too much, or it could cause you some clearance issues at the hinge line.:rolleyes:

I have the nose job 2... tried to put it on today, but the clamp worn't fit around the gear leg...... so I continued with the new wheel pant & leg fairing install (per stock Van's)... Have an email to Anti Splat to see if there is a fix...Will will put it on later...

I Am planning to remove it... I was just questioning if someone flew it not removed.. and what was results..?

I flew a couple hours with mine untrimmed, and noticed that my rudder was suddenly needing right pressure in cruise, to the tune of almost half a ball deflection. I reworked the closures and trimmed them close on the leg and transition fairings, and most of that rudder deflection problem went away. The coordinated flight of the airplane is very sensitive to proper alignment of the fairings, this is something you will want to get right or it will drive you crazy later.

Back