What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Question

pilotmansam

Here's a quick question for anyone out there with GRT equipment. I have installed a GRT Sport EX EFIS. Works great. Only, one problem I noticed is that I get an occasional GPS signal dropout. Sometimes just a second or two, sometimes longer. Acts like a loose connection, so I re seated the GPS antenna connection to the back of the unit. Seemed like it may have helped but it keeps coming back. Anyone else seen this problem?

I have GRTs, but pump GPS thru my 480. Part of my install had a tight turn in the coax and it took out the GPS signal with avengeance. Basically ruined the cable in that area and had to remake the cable. Kinked it again, but not as hard and it dropped out. Smoothed it back and it came back but it will occasionally just drop out. IOW if you cant find any other reason, you could have a bum cable........

Just did an upgrade to a Sport SX plus a Safefly GPS/Echo UAT combo. I?ve had the same problem, and as a result I?m failing my adsb tests.

In doing some trouble shooting, I was removing the antenna that was connected to the Safefly, and I hear a ? plunk?. This particular antenna that GRT supplied had an adapter that converts the cable from a threaded on connector to a MCX press on connector. What had happened is the threaded connector of the cable fell off the cable. Closer inspection revealed that it looked like the threaded connector had either not been crimped enough, or not much of the wire sheath had been captured in it. I originally thought that push on connector was the culprit.

GRT acknowledged that this has been a common problem of late and a replacement antenna is on its way.

I think my problem is the connector as described by "painless". The GPS antenna cable ends in a screw on connector which has a "push-on" type connector screwed to it. I went out today and did another headstand under the panel. This screw on connector was loose. Hope this is it. Thanks for the responses.

Sam, make sure that the crimp for that screw on connector is doing it’s job. Do a pull test on it. That is what failed for me.

I did receive a new antenna from GRT and all is good in the gps world again.

Back