What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mcually prop

MacCaulay

I used a Mac constant speed on a O-360 6A if that helps. It was the prop and governor that is used on the Cessna cardinal.
Worked well.
Dale

It sounds like you are looking for a fixed pitch prop?

If not, and you are looking for a C/S prop, do a lot of research. Not all McCauley C/S props will work on Lycoming 4-cyl engines. Make sure that your exact engine model is compatible with the exact prop model. Has to do with torsional vibration, which is pretty high on non-"counterweight" Lycoming engines.

Don't ask me how I know................:rolleyes:

If memory serves me right, the reason Van's collaborated with Sensenich to design a prop the RV's was because people were using props off certified airplanes and re-pitching them to work on an RV. This required a lot of twist which caused a lot of prop failures.

Any body use a Mcually prop on a 6. Looking into one for a good price. What pitch and dia?
Thanks
If you are talking fixed don't get a certified prop for GA plane, they are NOT suitable for a fast RV. The Sensenich made for RV's is the way to go. Van's aircraft has a catalog listing all the props for the RV. There are many manufactures of wood and wood composite fixed pitch props to choose from like Catto. If going constant speed, Hartzell, MT or Whirlwind are the ways to go.

If you stray from the norm, use something no one else is you will likely add more work, time to be the trail blazer. The results may be mixed.

Look for used props where RV flyers are upgrading, if you are on a budget. You will need a prop extension and bolts. You might get all that as a bundle if you buy a used prop from an RV'er.

As AKABUD said don't get a stock GA prop and twist and cut it down. It will lead to prop failure and an accident, a bad one. This was common 40 yeas ago. After many prop shops stopped doing these prop mods. What happens is they vibrate and fatigue and fail. Sensenich has made and tested their metal prop specifically for RV's...

Last edited:
Back