What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pick Up tubes

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
Is it possible to inspect the pickup tubes in the RV-6A fuel tanks from the fueling port?

Is it difficult to remove and re-install (the same) fuel tank after an inspection/repair? Aside from a possible repair, is this a one day, one person job?

Is it possible to inspect the pickup tubes in the RV-6A fuel tanks from the fueling port?

Is it difficult to remove and re-install (the same) fuel tank after an inspection/repair? Aside from a possible repair, is this a one day, one person job?

1. No it is not possible to inspect pickup tubes from the fueling port.

2. Maybe, maybe not. IF the aircraft is painted, it can be an issue to get the screws out and the tank off.

3. Depends on the individual. I would want to leave the tank off for the sealant to cure and do a pressure test after the cure. There may be less than 8-hours of work but it would take me a 3 or 4 day period for me to feel good about putting the tank back on and fuel in it.

Adding to Gary's excellent response, I'd give the proseal at least 72 hours to cure before pressure testing. The removal, repair and re-install can be done in 8 man hours, however.

Borescope camera

I was able to sneak a cheap inspection camera through the filler hole and through bay-to-bay fuel holes.

If the pickup tube is not laying on top or the drain (sump) hole, that is another way to get a camera into the tank.

Search eBay for "Inspection Cameras". Cheapest are less than $10.

Finn

As the above poster said, you can inspect it with some ingenuity and a flexible borescope.
You can also remove the tank end-plate without removing the fuel tank. This is the plate accessible from the wing root. They typically have the fuel level float mounted to them.
How long it takes depends on if it was pro-sealed on or just cork gasketed. Mine were pro-sealed and took about 4 hours to remove.
What exactly are you looking for with the pick-up?

Sounds encouraging that de-install/re-install can be done in one day. Actual repairs can be another story, of course.

My concerns are inspecting for potential clogs from flaking or loosening of old sloshing compound. Seems to me a developing issue with the older RVs.

Good idea....possibly looking through the sump valve port.

Are you concerned about slosh, or sealant? Do you have debris showing up in your filters or gascolator (if you have one)?
If you have slosh in your tanks, should be visible through the filler hole. If you have separation issues, the slosh will be loose sheets or bits visible on the floor of the tank. If you have these issues, it is a major job to correct and will take a LOT more than one day to remedy as tank should come off and all bays opened up to remove all the slosh from the tank, not just clean the pickup tube.
Slosh isn't a 'developing' issue, Vans recognized this a long time ago with a Service Bulletin addressing an unacceptable building technique that was not compatible with their structures.

The concern is about slosh, not sealant. Easy enough to see if tank has been sloshed. However, if sections of slosh are missing from the tank inside surfaces, yet no debri evident in tank or gascolator, then what? It could be the material was previously fished out or hiding behind a baffle or about to wrap itself around the pick up tube. A flexible borescope seems to be the tool of choice, though may be unsatisfactory and a fiddly task.

I say it is a developing issue because there are still many RVs with sloshed tanks and the slosh compound isn't getting any fresher. Debris in gascolator is easy enough to check, but large peels, strips, or sections can clog a fuel pick up before getting to the selector valve or gascolator. It appears that tank de-install/re-install is the easiest part of the solution.

If your tanks are sloshed, I would not waste a lot of time inspecting the pick-up. It is fine if you are able to get it with a borescope just to understand where you are, and if it is safe to fly until you can ground the plane at a convenient time; however, I would not plan on a long term operating strategy of inspecting until you need to deal with the slosh.
It is not too big of a job to remove the tanks, cut access holes in the back, and then re-seal the holes. Removing the slosh is not that bad either - just very time consuming and tedious. This is the best time of the year to do it.
Do one tank at a time, start to finish. I am thinking you can do it in two weekends, and learn a lot on the first one to make the second one go easier. This way your plane is down two weekends and can fly between doing the first and the second tank.

Back