What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance For RV-14A Project

Frankster13

I am looking for any help/suggestions getting a good rate on insurance for my RV-14A while it is in none flying build stage as well as for when I finish up in coming weeks. I am interested in what would be considered a reasonable rate for a none flying/build aircraft as well as rate for flying RV-14A. Who has the best rates?

Yep, definitely call Leah. She's been great and has promptly answered all of my questions.

I just talked to her yesterday, in fact, since I figured it was worth mentioning (with Dorian approaching central Florida) that my wings are now in the hangar. I wanted to confirm that this wouldn't affect my builder's risk policy and she readily agreed that it wouldn't.

If you want a second possible broker, suggest you try the EAA broker Falcon Insurance Agency. Phone # 866-647-4322 www.falconinsurance.com

I've been very happy with their service, both builders policy and a policy on my Grumman AA-5.

I use Gallagher and am happy with their service and expertise. Remember Gallagher, Falcon, etc, are ‘agencies’ or ‘brokers’, not actual insurance companies. Any one of them should be able to get you a quote from all but one of the insurance companies (see below). Some insurance companies will refuse to give out multiple quotes to multiple agencies for the same pilot/airplane, so choosing one agency that gives you good service is usually best.
The one exception is Avemco. They are a ‘direct writer’, so if you want a quote from them, you need to contact them directly. Years ago, they were very competitive in the experimental market. These days, not so much. Still, all it costs is 15 minutes of your time and a phone call, and they might send you a nice baseball cap just for asking for a quote. But for sure, go to a good broker for all the other companies.
Edit: The insurance companies take time in type seriously. So despite having lots of hours, if you have little or no time in RV-14a’s you can expect the first year, and/or coverage during phase 1, to be pretty steep. Second year’s premium should be less. Other factors are what you state as the insured hull value, and how much liability coverage you want.

Last edited:
Back