What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap Between Top Wing Skin and Flaps

I have a gap of approximately 1/4 inch between the trailing edge of my upper wing skins and the top skin of the flaps on my -7A. The wing skin is turned upwards a few degrees at the rear wing spar flange. I spoke with someone at Van's who indicated that this problem is common enough that they developed a tool to correct it. That tool is currently out on loan to another builder and they are trying to contact him/her. Meanwhile, I'm wondering how other builders have solved this. I'm thinking about trying to sandwich the skin and spar flange between a couple of pieces of steel angle, clamping them together and carefully bending it down a bit. Can anyone advise me on whether this might work, or maybe someone has a better idea?
Thanks
Paul Johnson

With your method, I would worry that it might cause a crease in your skin. It might be worth the wait, although I have no idea of what tool they have.

When you make the adjustment, try to set it up in such way that there is still a bit of gap and/or the leading of your flap will not have any chance of popping out of place when your flap is fully retracted. In a few cases, one of my friend to be one case, the leading edge of the flap skin had popped out enough that when flaps were retracted it pushed the wing skin upward and bended nearly 90 degree upward. That is almost a disaster and not an easy fix.

Back