What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools Stolen

DB1033

So......I was in my garage last night working on a non-RV project and had some holes to drill. I reached for my craftsman cordless drill on my work bench and noticed it was gone. So were the batteries and the charger. I thought maybe my brother came over and borrowed it. So I called him and asked and as I was talking to him I noticed that my shelves looked awfully empty. That's when I realized that every namebrand tool was GONE!!!. Talk about a sinking feeling.

They took both my cordless and dewalt corded drill, router, sockets, wrenches, power washer, sanders and pneumatic auto tool kit. Luckily, none of the airplane tools were taken. They didn't bother with the drill press or chop saw either. They emptied a few airplane components from a plastice tote and used the tote to carry everything out.

The only thing I can guess is that I left the door to the garage unlocked for about 15 minutes while I walked 3 houses down to visit my bro on wed. night. Makes me think somebody has been watching and waiting for awhile. I'm afraid they'll be back for the rest of the stuff while i'm on vacation next week.

Man....sure does ruin your weekend.

I think e-bay has caused this type of activity to increase dramatically.
Be careful who you buy from and what you buy there. I personally do not want to be a contributer to theives. I would suggest watching for your tools there (the seller usually lists their location) and then report the person to the police. Also everyone should engrave their tools and take pics. Once the cops are tipped off to these punks they will most likely cave and confess.

GO GET EM!!!!!!!!!

briand said:
I think e-bay has caused this type of activity to increase dramatically.
Be careful who you buy from and what you buy there. I personally do not want to be a contributer to theives. I would suggest watching for your tools there (the seller usually lists their location) and then report the person to the police. Also everyone should engrave their tools and take pics. Once the cops are tipped off to these punks they will most likely cave and confess.

GO GET EM!!!!!!!!!
Check the local pawn shops and flea markets as well. They are usually the choice outlet for less computer literate thieves.

Dog?

DB1033 said:
The only thing I can guess is that I left the door to the garage unlocked for about 15 minutes while I walked 3 houses down to visit my bro on wed. night. Makes me think somebody has been watching and waiting for awhile. I'm afraid they'll be back for the rest of the stuff while i'm on vacation next week.
That's really annoying. They may have come in from the back - it's pretty "ballzy" to open a garage door. I guess it's time to subscribe for a trial period on a burglar alarm system, before you go on vacation.

BTW, what was your dog doing while these crooks were in your garage?

Yeah buddy that is one messed up feeling. I'm sure it feels like maybe 1/100th of what rape feels like for a woman but horrible none the less. (No disrespect ladies) That?s why you need a leg chompin, arm eating ferocious varmint to guard your stuff. I dare anyone to come near my shop!!!

DOGS%20084%20small.jpg

This type of crime was becoming common when I lived in New Mexico with the difference being they did not wait for the shop/garage to be unoccupied.

I had heard of guys pulling up in front of an open residental garage, walking up and telling the owner what they were going to take, usually at the end of some type of weapon.

I can honestly say I kept my 40 cal automatic in the top of my box for such an occasion.

Steven L Hild
La Vernia, TX
RV-7 fuse

Last summer I had a customer call me to report repeated breakins at his field and ask that I keep an eye out for any EI equipment coming in for service or remarking.

We got a break, several EI instruments quickly identified on Ebay. Ebay went after them and ultimately the perps were arrested. Apparently they had quite the little operation going. All stolen items were being fenced on Ebay :mad: .

I hate thieves too!

MTS

Unrelated to stolen tools, but still a theft

I came across this yesterday.

Shoot first ask questions later.

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base officials are investigating the chain of events behind a recent trespassing incident that led to the theft of a $78,000 navigation system for a Navy surveillance aircraft.

It took D-M police 30 to 45 minutes to arrive after Tucson Police Department officers notified the base they'd caught a civilian who'd been seen walking around inside the fence at the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center, according to TPD and FBI reports.

Base police reportedly were delayed because they couldn't find a key to a gate that stood between them and the scene of the crime, the TPD account said.

A 34-year-old Tucson man was arrested by the FBI a few days after the June 13 incident at the aircraft storage compound, commonly known as "the boneyard."

Base officials are saying little about the case, but they promised to release more details after their probe is finished.

D-M leaders also wouldn't say how many other unauthorized entries have occurred. They say releasing that information could pose a security risk ? a contention disputed by a civilian defense expert. Despite the recent breach, D-M officials say existing security measures are sufficient to protect the base and and the 2,600-acre storage site, home to more than 4,200 retired military aircraft worth about $33 billion. "Security is always a priority at any installation, and security at Davis-Monthan provides the appropriate level of protection," read a statement from D-M's public-affairs office. For now, the only public descriptions of the allegations are in federal court records and civilian police reports.

Around sunset on June 13, someone called Tucson police to report a suspicious vehicle parked outside a peeled-back section of perimeter fence at the boneyard, near East Irvington and South Pantano roads. Tucson police Sgt. Robert Lund arrived and found a red-headed man dressed in camouflage shorts and a T-shirt wandering around inside the fenceline near the parked aircraft. The man briefly ducked behind one of the warplanes, then crawled under the loose fence and approached the officer, saying he was an aircraft aficionado who wanted a closer look, an FBI report said. The police officer, who lacked jurisdiction to arrest someone on federal property, detained the man and notified D-M police that he was seen on base property. Thirty to 45 minutes went by, and base police still hadn't shown up, according to the Tucson police and FBI reports.

"After approximately 30 minutes, we were informed that D-M security forces could not find the key to the gate leading to our location," said an account from a second police officer who arrived to assist Lund. So the Tucson police officers took down the man's information and let him go with a warning to stay away from the boneyard.

Two days later, authorities discovered that a black box containing the navigation system for a Navy P-3 Orion, an anti-submarine aircraft, was missing from the boneyard. The black box later was found in the suspect's house, the FBI report said. An occupant of the house said the suspect planned to sell it to see how much money it would fetch, the report stated.
Christopher Howard, 34, of Tucson was arrested on suspicion of stealing government property. He was released after posting $5,000 bond and being put on electronic monitoring. Howard's address was not available because the FBI does not provide that information.

Base officials said the navigation system was unclassified and was not inside the aircraft when it disappeared. It had been removed for shipment, but officials wouldn't say how or where it was being stored.

fun with thieves

I also have a disdain for thieves. That comes in handy in my role as a Judge :D

When I was a young Marine stationed in California in the 60's my buddies and I had little money and little recreation. One of our favorite things to do for entertainment was to collect several tarantula spiders from the desert area and put them into a box. We would wrap the box like a present, and place in where it could easily be stolen.

I would have loved have been there when the thief opened his stolen box. A ticked off tarantula will jump about a foot when he gets the chance, which is when the top comes off the box :eek:

Entertainment

tonyjohnson said:
... One of our favorite things to do for entertainment was to collect several tarantula spiders from the desert area and put them into a box. We would wrap the box like a present, and place in where it could easily be stolen. ...
That's great! I can imagine you taught quite a few lessons with that trick!

DarinFred said:
Will your homeowner's insurance cover these stolen tools? If so, it could be Christmas in July!
Your idea is that there is no cost to the home owner if the insurance company sends a fat reimbursment check for the stolen tools. The insurance company sure doesn't write that check out of their profit. It comes out of yours and every other home owner's premiums to cover the company's loss. This type of thinking is why insurance premiums are totally out of control. Insurance is not a free lunch.

I had a 17 yo teenage boy tell me years ago when I taught public school that he did not see where there was any harm in him and his buddies going out and stealing things from the local stores on weekends because the stores had insurance so it wasn't like they would really be out anything.

This statement sounds an awful lot like that teenage boy who saw his act of stealing as "no big deal"! Insurance will cover it!? :mad:

So, let's say all his furniture got stolen. Would you not expect your homeowners policy to cover this? How are tools different? Insurance in this country is a fraud anyway, so if you're going to pay the premiums, then why not use the services? I'm not advocating insurance fraud or anything like that, but when something happens that falls under your homeowners policy, use it to get new stuff. That's why it's there. I know insurance isn't a free lunch...you pay the premium for your lunch.

Sorry to hear. I've had stuff taken and I'd like the opportunity to catch them in the act!

I mounted a "game" camera in my shop. You can buy them from Bass Pro and other sporting good stores. Has a motion detecter and takes pictures if actuated. If hidden properly you will have a nice present to present to the police....a picture of the low life thief!

Just a suggestion. It won't stop them from taking but it will help to make them pay.

Back