What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To choose the 14

Bernard Hartnell

I have read multiple posts comparing the 14 to the 6,7,9,10 & even the cute Sonex. Well, it's all kinda like the guy who says he likes his boat, a canoe. The next guy likes his ocean going yacht. Well it depends on your mission, vision and values. The question is not a why question or a comparative question, it's a mission and choice question,

We currently fly a PA28180. Great plane for a time in our lives, burns 8.5 gl or hr at about 130 mph. But for my wife and I, when we flew the 14, it was a match. Take off and land - short, nimble not twitchy, fast, adequate luggage but would mean some doable compromise, cheaper than any new certified with similar performance. (Like there is a plane on the market like it).

So while my wife and I are both tall 6'3" & 6' and proportionate we are not rich fat-so types, but there is good shoulder and leg room that is better than our Cherokee! If I could fit in the 7A, II would have bought one already built. But it didn't fit our knees or shoulders, all be it a GREAT plane.

So for those debating if the cost, speed, fuel consumption, yada yada yada. . . Perhaps another plane is your choice. But let me just say; this plane is no Buick, Lincoln town car, or Chrysler Imperial. It's a honest to goodness very cool Ferrari. Oh and the cost of fuel relative to distance, it beats our Cherokee in operational cost!

Pay & play! And size maters! :)

Back