VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Fuel protection for Vinyl wrapping

I'll be wrapping using Avery vinyl film. Unfortunately, one needs to put another clear film on top of the vinyl where fuel may spill into the vinyl (fuel + vinyl = really bad).

Any thoughts on the best film to use for this protective layer?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFLYER View Post
(fuel + vinyl = really bad).
Is that what the mfgr said? While I probably wouldn't do it in an a/c, it's not uncommon to see vinyl tubing being used for gas line in some 'terrestrial' situations.

I'm toying with the idea of wrapping my wings, but fuel messing with the wrap would likely be a deal breaker. Is it the vinyl itself, or the adhesive that is vulnerable? Does this apply to all brands, or just this particular brand?

Charlie
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 PM

3M says their wrapping vinyl is protected against gasoline (as long as its wiped off quicky). I would check with Avery but they should be the same.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

My RV-7A is now over 3 years and about 650 hours into an all-over vinyl wrap job by AircraftWraps.com using the 3M airliner-grade vinyl wrap. I have spilled far more 100LL over the wings overfilling the tanks than I am proud of. Absolutely zero impact on the vinyl wrap.

As mentioned above, make sure you're using the right vinyl. The 3M aviation stuff scoffs at 100LL.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B with dual PMAGs, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com. Smoke by Smoke System Helper.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2018 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
My RV-7A is now over 3 years and about 650 hours into an all-over vinyl wrap job by AircraftWraps.com using the 3M airliner-grade vinyl wrap. I have spilled far more 100LL over the wings overfilling the tanks than I am proud of. Absolutely zero impact on the vinyl wrap.

As mentioned above, make sure you're using the right vinyl. The 3M aviation stuff scoffs at 100LL.
Do you happen to know the exact product was used on yours? I didn't find anything useful when I Googled Airline Grade vinyl. Thx

EDIT FROM SCROLL: I’ll look next time I’m at the hangar.

FOLLOW-UP EDIT FROM SCROLL: OK, it's the 3M 1080 airline-grade line of vinyl film.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress

Last edited by scrollF4 : 11-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 PM

I have an automotive grade of 3M vinyl on my wings - and I can assure you that it easily stains and will dissolve under prolonged contact with 100LL.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:51 PM

I asked aircraft wraps once what their special trade secret product was. They brushed me off.
Six years and 500+ hours now on my 3M 1080 colors and Avery Conform Chrome. While I have polished aluminum on top of most the wings, fuel spills have happened fore and aft to the vinyl with no adverse affect.
I would seam seal arround the fuel caps for sure to help keep fuel from seeping under.
As always YMMV. ��

PS:
Cast vinyl is what you want, and the best grade and brands plays into it as well. calendared Vinyls you do not want. And pre colored solids will last longer than custom printed in most cases. Custom printed graphics add another variable based on the quality of the inks and such.

I have lots of the 3M 1080 in the Hangar, I’ll slap some on a sheet of aluminum and fuel test it, with the seam sealer, and without.

Last edited by BruceEicher : 11-16-2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: PS
Old 11-17-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFLYER View Post
(fuel + vinyl = really bad)
Around my wing tank filler caps I have vinyl "100LL Only" decals. I haven't noticed any degradation in 4 years.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:52 AM

May I ask what the expiricend builders put under the vinyl? Is corrosion protection needed or can the wrapping take place on bare aluminium?
RV-12 #121128 enpenage kit
Donation made til August2109
Please excuse my bad english!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Tom View Post
May I ask what the expiricend builders put under the vinyl? Is corrosion protection needed or can the wrapping take place on bare aluminium?
Nothing, unnecessary weight. The vinyl protects the aluminum. Also, we didn't get crazy with pinholes: The vinyl covers them. However, the vinyl will highlight imperfections in the composite surfaces, so you do want a decent surface sanding and gap fill job.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B with dual PMAGs, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com. Smoke by Smoke System Helper.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2018 -=VAF=- Contributor