What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing stand?

gfb

Well Known Member
I'm about to get started on wings and figuring out what to do about a wing stand. Does everyone just build the Van's one in the plans or are there better options out there?

Wing stand

Stand or jig?
Jig
I build the Rudi Greyling jigs but the web page seems to be down. I'm sure someone has the plans. They are really sturdy steel and anchored to the floor. Not for everyone.
Stand
I built the Vans cradle. It works great. I also added a plans stand and binder rack on one end. I used some scrap flap spars and plywood from the crates. The plans stand is clekoed to the cradle and comes off in seconds. The only change I would make is a bit wider so I can stand between the wings but that's no biggie. Only needed the option mounting the flaps. Whatever you build, make it so the bottoms of the wings are outside. It makes it easier to rig ailerons and such.

Last edited:
http://n999za.com/2011/12/11/constructed-wing-cradle/

http://rv-7construction.com/tag/wing-cradle/

wing-cradle-vans-style.jpg

Stand vs Jig

Hmm, sounds like I need more research. What's the jig vs the stand used for?

Jig
Frame used to build the wings. Keeps parts in alignment and reduces the possibility of building a twist into the wing. Vans manual recommends one for the 7 wings but not sure about the 9. Plans vary almost as much as primer wars. Some say they are required, others not. Personally, it's cheap insurance. YMMV

Stand or cradle
Used to store the wings once they are complete. Most put them on wheels so they can move them around. Two common designs are different in the way they support the outboard end. The carpet sling or the rib shaped cradle. Both work well.

If you google "Rudi Greyling wing stands", you'll get a bunch of pictures and links to builder websites. Popular and for a good reason.

Snapshot_20100327.jpg

Simple, I followed the drawing in the plans and used a rib template to get the cutouts right. After it was finished, I added some vertical posts and a long 2x4 to hang the flaps from, while I worked on the rest of the plane.

I used pipe insulation to protect the wing, while in the cradle. Here is a picture with one wing in the stand. In this picture, you can see the stand in the background, without the wings taken during test fitting.

Since I was building in my basement, I simply attached the vertical jig posts to the exposed floor joists above. There are more details here. Don't over think the wing jig. It is almost impossible to introduce a twist in your wings due to the match hole technology. (I know of at least one set of wings that were built on sawhorses that came out perfectly straight.)

Last edited:
Jigs

The Rudy jig is pretty neat. Anyone have a set they no longer need?

Funny you should ask.
My wing jigs, elevator jig, aileron jig and trailing edge bending brake are no longer needed. I was going to list it all on VAF classifieds for $200. I've got about $300 in materials in them. Jigs built the wings to 1/64" across the wing. Long drive and expensive to ship but if you're coming to Colorado, I'll hold onto them.

Elevator and aileron jig? I had no idea. I keep discovering new things I need daily :) I'm unlikely to drive out to get them as the drive itself would cost more than that in time + gas but would love to see any pics you have of these items.

Pics

Elevator and aileron jig? I had no idea. I keep discovering new things I need daily :) I'm unlikely to drive out to get them as the drive itself would cost more than that in time + gas but would love to see any pics you have of these items.

Lots of photos on my blog. Web link is in my signature. There is a time chart with links to each page.

Rudi wing stand

I have two sets in Geneseo, Il. I built both wings at the same time. Come and get them.

I might take you up on that, thanks. Heading out of town for the week but if we decide to drive down there I'll reach out to you to figure it out.

Thanks!

Back