What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Caverns of Sonora

Vlad

Well Known Member
Doug tracked me to Sonora TX and sent me this link http://www.vansairforce.net/rv_travel/dougreeves/cavernsofsonora/sonora.htm what a chance!

A good friend of mine Leo tried hard to help with logistics. Airport van was not allowed to drive that far. There was no rent-a-car outfit in Sonora and there was no Uber. A call to the Caverns office yielded a "maybe" pickup. And then we met Edward. :D

Edward is a rancher he built an RV10 and also flys a Piper Cub. He graciously offered his Jeep. RV Brotherhood in action...

We jeeped to the Caverns.

and bought tour tickets.

Let the underground adventure begin...

Our guide Ulissa, an Army medic was fantastic!

Last edited:
You have to be a professional photographer with serious optics to capture and render all the stone formations.

There is a wedding palace.

This man made pool is cleaned once a year and money thrown in it by tourists are donated to a charity.

My buddy Leo enjoying the stalactites

and stalagmites.

Corral like formations.

River of Mud.

Fish tail.

Stone straws.

Our guide.

The difference between stone formations below the waterline.

We couldn't be happier.

Weird stuff.

A stone bird.

Witch House.

Milky Way.

Rum Baba.

Bacon.

Butterflies.

A finger or something like it.

Whale Belly.

As Rosie said; Keep pounding those rivets!!

Last edited:
That last photo looks like bone............:eek:

Yep. That's the "boneyard" section of the cave.

I consider Caverns of Sonora to be one of the top five commercial (oh, heck, even non-commercial) caves in the country. I love the place. It's a "don't miss" roadside attraction.

Awesome Photos

Wow, Vlad, Thank you for sharing. Interesting and awesome photos!

Best regards,
Mike

Great Flight

Many thanks to Edward for his generous offer to use his beautiful red Jeep. It became obvious afterwards why the crew van wasn't allowed to be used. The roads to the caves are very steep. Caves are beautiful. Visiting them was the second most exciting thing about this flight. The first one was, of course, flying the left seat of Vlad's wonderful bird. Especially one of the landings :) Going from NJ to Louisiana in one day in strong head wind wasn't bad either.
The big take away from this for everyone? Don't count on Uber in small towns West of Mississippi

I will post some pics from my phone too when I figure out why this pc doesn't recognize the drive.

Back