What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cryptic Instructions

asw20c

Well Known Member
There is a note on page 10-14 that says "NOTE: Review the systems installation instructions beginning on Page 10-21 prior to installing the F-01473-L & -R Side Skins." Ok, so I review them; now what? I don't get why this note is so vague. Most notes say something very specific, like "don't dimple these holes". I'm not clear on what the intent of the note above is. Does it mean something like "be ready to install the pitot ports, or xxxx wiring harness before you rivet the side skins on"? Anyone have any idea what the point of the note is other than to simply read ahead?
Sorry if this sounds like a rant. Perhaps it is because the instructions have been so clear up to this point.

Notes

You can lay the wiring harnesses in place to save crawling/reaching into the aft section or just rivet the sides and reach inside from the top - I chose to do the latter. You will have plenty of access, even after mating the fwd and aft sections, to go back later and fine tune things.

I believe the intent of that note is to direct the builder to review those pages to be familiar with everything that will happen during the process.

I imagine that someone on the early plane regretted not thinking ahead. I wish there were about 20 more of those warnings in other parts of the plans!

Thanks, I figured that was probably the intent, but it just seemed out of character for instructions that had been more prescriptive up to that point. Why not simply say what you mean rather than leave it up for interpretation?

I imagine that someone on the early plane regretted not thinking ahead. I wish there were about 20 more of those warnings in other parts of the plans!

JDA If you can forward the places you wish they had notes, I can then get them in the WIKI construction pages.

(PG 9 on Gotcha thread if any one is interested in joining the wiki.)

Pete

The biggest one is already on the list - its the make sure the fuselage belly skin is right side up. I have primer on the bottom of my plane because I primed first, realized second. I now consider it a feature, not a flaw. It's well protected until I paint!

Back