What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avidyne ifd440

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Here is my dilema. Don't know if I should upgrade the GNS430 to 430W or trade in for a IFD440! Any inputs? Any real world comparisons and reviews? Thanks Any Used IFD440?

Obviously, the 430W will be less expensive than purchasing a new Avidyne. How long do you need the GPS to work in your aircraft? The 430 is end of life and superseded by the GTN series. When will Garmin stop supporting it? You may find yourself in a few years having to replace the 430W anyways?

Total cost of ownership will be better with the Avidyne, but you have a big hit year one. The Avidyne has more capabilities, especially if you have a non-Garmin EFIS.

It really comes down to what your budget will allow.

If you already have experience doing the twist-push-twist-push dance with the 430 then the user interface is a moot point. If, on the other hand, you haven't yet programmed your brain to think like a 430 software designer's brain, then the user interface becomes a very large consideration.

The Avidyne wins hands-down when it comes to ease of use. The 430 will feel like an old DOS computer while the Avidyne will feel much more like a modern Apple device.

I've mentioned on this forum previously my little experiment with IFR navigators conducted at Oshkosh when Avidyne first came out with the IFD540. I walked up to the demo unit and started pushing buttons with the intent of creating and activating a flight plan. I had never touched either an Avidyne or a Garmin 400/500 unit before.

In short, I had a flight plan up and running on the Avidyne in five minutes or less, while after 30 minutes on the GNS530 I still hadn't figured it out and had given up in disgust and walked away.

There simply is no comparison in terms of ease of use. The GTN-series boxes are getting a bit better but still are no match for the intuitive operation of the Avidyne navigators.

Reading all the replies looks all positive reviews on the IFD440. Now it?s matter of finding the best trade in deal out there! Are there different models of the 440? Some sites have a are to choose a model or add ons?

Reading all the replies looks all positive reviews on the IFD440. Now it?s matter of finding the best trade in deal out there! Are there different models of the 440? Some sites have a are to choose a model or add ons?

No, but there are options. I believe WiFi/Bluetooth is an option, for example - not sure.

The mistake I made was looking at the IFD540. It has those options built-in, came with a small keyboard ("thumboard") that looked cheesy but works even better for putting in a flight plan or updated route, and the screen is amazing.

One option to think about is weather/traffic. Unlike Garmin products, the IFDs will take ADS-B weather and traffic in GDL90 protocol, which means you can connect a stratux via serial line.

This is a screen shot of my IFD, with the weather/traffic being delivered by a stratux box:
33258260184_f65ec27f37.jpg

Check on eBay; the IFDs will show up there from time to time.

Im just putting one in my 7.

You can get some very good trade in deal for the 430.

I got the all the bells and whistles on my IDF440. WiFi, Bluetooth, keyboard, terrain wotsits. Very pleased so far.

No one is selling a used ifd440. Must be a great unit! But I will keep checking like you said Chiefpilot

I can't answer your question about the IFD440 directly, but I flew different airplanes for years that were equipped with 430W and 530Ws. I earned my instrument rating behind those devices.

I fly behind an IFD540 now and am amazed at how much easier and more efficient it is to operate. When you add in the Bluetooth keyboard and the app that gives you a full iPad screen that mirrors the head unit, the difference becomes even bigger. Those advantages would be greater still on the smaller IFD440 sized unit.

I have an IFD540 in my plane. I would not go to a Garmin product if I had a choice. I have used 430's and also G1000 and I don't know what the engineers were thinking with their control logic.

I recently did an IPC in somewhat rough turbulence. The availability of buttons to push made it bearable. At first I tried just the touch interface using the bezel to steady my hand. It kind of worked, but was still significantly more difficult than pushing buttons. On the other hand, when the weather is smooth, a touch interface is very fast. The IFD units give you both interfaces. The old Garmins had just knobs, the new Garmins just have a touch interface.

Not long ago, I saw some IFD's for sale over on BeechTalk. I can't remember if they were 540s or 440s.

I will check on beechtalk, thank Henry.
Yeah seems to me that moving away from the 430 and going to the IFD440 is a solid choice! Now just got to find the right deal.

If you have an iPad... There are trainer apps for both the Garmin GTN and the Avidyne IFD. I suggest you download and try them both out for yourself.

With that being said, I prefer the IFD. It has a much better interface, like a QWERTY keyboard instead of scroll and select. Menus are much more shallow as well, not requiring as much digging to get to what you want.

dealers

Check out Stein for IFD 440 or 540 prices. I upgraded my 530s in both RVs through Stein and am very pleased with the Avidyne units.

I know the dealers all have a trade in deal but the prices are very different from one to another. If anyone has found the best deal on the 430 trade in for the 440 please share the info.

Does the Garmin GA-35 WAAS antenna work with the IFD440? do you still have to use about 10' of cable?

Last edited:
Does the Garmin GA-35 WAAS antenna work with the IFD440? do you still have to use about 10' of cable?

Yes and....it appears to be OK to do so! (Experience with using IFD?s and GNS?s in the same slot, with the same antennas).

Avidyne IFD 440/540 Warranty

I believe you can get up to 4 years warranty, if you need further convincing of the benefits of the IFD?s.

4 years warranty is great. Now I just need to sell my 430. <SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:
I would replace my G430W with an IFD 440 if there were a place to get the database subscription other than from Jeppessen. No competition keeps the price up so to me it is a deal breaker. YMMV

:cool:

I recently had Steinair wire in a brand new GTN650 in my avionics package. Reading this thread has me longing to swap out the un-installed GTN650 already for an "upgrade" to the Avidyne IFD440, and the plane isn't even flying yet. I love my Garmin avionics, but really like the idea of the easier to use IFD440. :eek:

Hey Galin, I agree with you.. Prices for subscriptions are ridiculous, but garmin is not any better than Jeppessen.

What is the pricing for the yearly subscription for the IFD440 ? And do they offer discount for multiple units?
I only see to "call for pricing".

Hey Galin, I agree with you.. Prices for subscriptions are ridiculous, but garmin is not any better than Jeppessen.

Not sure what Jep charges but you can do Garmin GTN USA nav data pack for $299 a year, that's everything you need for IFR.

The G3X full package is $149 year.

If you have a G3X, GTN and a portable (I have a 660) and Garmin Pilot you can do the full package (everything for the GTN) for all 3 units for $649 a year.

FWIW: I pay $299.99 for the Garmin US NavData for my G430W and it covers the entire US to include Puerto Rico. I get the DYNON and FltPlanGo database updates for free. More NavData than I ever had before.

:cool:

To be fair, this is an apples to oranges comparison. While the data is similar, the free data is for VFR only. The Garmin and/or Jepp subscriptions are not optional for IFR. It would be next to impossible for either company to manage the data will be used for VFR or IFR operations. Sooner or later, some yahoo would but the VFR subscription and fly IFR, then their family would sue after an incident.

To be fair, this is an apples to oranges comparison. While the data is similar, the free data is for VFR only. The Garmin and/or Jepp subscriptions are not optional for IFR. It would be next to impossible for either company to manage the data will be used for VFR or IFR operations. Sooner or later, some yahoo would but the VFR subscription and fly IFR, then their family would sue after an incident.

Bob,

I have an AFS and a Garmin.

My AFS subscription is FULL VFR and IFR for a lifetime subsciption that cost about $350.

I don?t fly IFR, but keep my airplane IFR certified just in case I need to use it to decend through a high layer, so having the ?Seattle Avionics? subscription allows me to purchase the smaller basic Garmin plans.

It may by VFR and IFR charts... But that does not make it an IFR navigator, slight difference there.

Cheapest route would be one of these lifetime chart subscriptions and fly solely on your VOR/ILS approaches.

The IFR navigation databases are an expensive endeavor, but they come in handy when you need the GPS approaches.

Bob,

I have an AFS and a Garmin.

My AFS subscription is FULL VFR and IFR for a lifetime subsciption that cost about $350.

I don’t fly IFR, but keep my airplane IFR certified just in case I need to use it to decend through a high layer, so having the “Seattle Avionics” subscription allows me to purchase the smaller basic Garmin plans.

just upgraded

I just swapped my Garmin 430W for an Avidyne IFD 440. Wow the Avidyne is nice.

On top of the much easier FMS methodology used for flight planning rather than Garmins Chapter methodology, another huge benefit is the free IFD 100 App.

Avidyne distributes an Ipad app for free (IFD 100) which uses the same software (yes the manual states 'same software') as the IFD 440/540 and connects wirelessly. Don't know how they have the same software in an app as in the avionics, but it works. Insert a waypoint on the Ipad and it instantly appears on the IFD440. Press the same buttons on the Ipad as you would on the IFD, Its like having a 2nd screen. You don't need the big screen GPS because your Ipad has the same screen as its big brother. Easily hold at any waypoint with a single click, enter divert airfield in sequence after missed approach procedure means no fumbling with inputs while flying the missed approach.

I'm sold

Last edited:
Avidyne distributes an Ipad app for free (IFD 100) which uses the same software (yes the manual states 'same software') as the IFD 440/540 and connects wirelessly.

I discovered something this weekend that just blew me away. If you have two iPads, you can run the IFD Trainer (their simulator) software on one iPad, and set it to mimic an IFD440 (you can choose between the 440, 540, and 550). On a second iPad, you can run the IFD 100 remote software, and it will talk over your wireless network to the other ipad running the sim software, just as if it were a real IFD box.

Let me rephrase this, you can test the exact setup of an IFD 440 and the remote IFD 100 software right in the comfort of your home by using two iPads. For free.

Wow.

-Dj

Last edited:
DJ,
Do you need to have an account to use the IFD100. I downloaded but its asking to log in!

Try just logging in with a blank username and password. You should be able to download an old database. Same for the simulator. To actually use the IFD-100 with an IFD-440 or -540, it will need to have the same database as the panelmount unit.

Last edited:
Dj - you're the only guy I know who plays Dueling iPads! :)

HA! I upgraded my iPad a bit ago, and still had the old one kicking around. :)

Most "normal" folk could probably borrow one from a friend or family member to try it out. :)

DJ,
Do you need to have an account to use the IFD100. I downloaded but its asking to log in!

Rico, leave the username and password fields blank, then click on the "login" link. This will allow you to download some demo databases to play with.

Click on the database you want, then click download. Repeat until you have everything you want. I used the eCharts, NavData, Obstacles, MapData, and Terrain-NAmerica databases.

Once done, click Exit and it will take you to the simulator screen.

-Dj

IFD database cost

What options are available for IFR data subscriptions on the IFD-440, is it only Jepp?

Does anyone know how much navigation/obstacle/terrain data is?

Thanks

Thanks DJ, it worked.
Can anyone tell me the difference from the 440 to the 540 other than the screen size! Does the 440 comes with wifi/Bluetooth built in or is it a separate module? What about the 3D synthetic terrain view?

Thanks DJ, it worked.
Can anyone tell me the difference from the 440 to the 540 other than the screen size! Does the 440 comes with wifi/Bluetooth built in or is it a separate module? What about the 3D synthetic terrain view?

Scroll to near the bottom and look at the "IFD Model Features" table:

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd/index.html

Wifi/Bluetooth is optional on the 440, built into the 540 and 550. They all have the synthetic terrain.

-Dj

I paid $665 for 1 year all US IFR coverage for NavData and Obstacles. NavData alone is $480. I may not renew obstacles since they don’t change all that much. I may just get them every couple of years or rely on ForeFlight.

I didn’t get approach charts because I prefer to view those on my iPad and I already have ForeFlight, WingX and FlyQ EFB. I don’t find the Jepp charts to be worth the extra money anymore. I’m not sure they’d be all that useful on a 440 screen. Pricing is pretty steep. I can’t remember the exact price, but it was something like $700 for all of the US. They offer a bundle of NavData, Charts, Obstacles and Terrain for $1,190 for the whole US. Terrain was last updated in 2015 and probably comes installed in the IFD.

You can save a little money by getting coverage for only parts of the country. The Jeppesen site stinks, and appears not to be functioning right now, when I tried to look up updated prices.

Back