What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anybody tried Costco Transitions Drivewear lenses?

Been using Transitions lens (not from Costco) for more years than I can remember. Only time in the last 20-years that I have flown my RV-6 (3,320+ flying hours) was a few flights that I flew with Ray-Ban bi-focal sunglasses. I did not like the sunglasses. I had them changed to Transitions lens after a few months and only a couple of flights. Still have the Ray-Ban but now with Transitions Tri-Focals for flying.

I have a microEncoder, use to have a microMonitor that was replaced by a Dynon EMS D-10, and two Garmin G5s. No problem reading anything in my cockpit with the Transitions including the iPad and iPhone.

UV Activated?

I tried Transitions several years back, but found they did not respond when driving or flying, supposedly (I was told) because the glass or plexi filtered the UV that was necessary to get the reaction to turn the lenses darker.

Ron

Thanks guys

I have vanilla transitions now and they don't get very dark. The Drivewear Transitions allegedly work behind a glass windshield so should also work behind plexiglass, since the UV downshift being similar. I'll let you know. I either buy some or let the Treasury have what's left in my health savings account...:rolleyes:

chevy

What Are Transitions?

I'm not much of a shopper and nearest Costco is 86 miles away.

What are Transition Lenses - and are they available at Rite Aide, Walmart, Walgreens, etc?

Never bought eyewear at Costco but given their liberal return (I assume they would apply to eyewear) policy, if you don't like them or are not satisfied with how they perform, take 'em back.

Again, not specifically Costco but mine work well with my slight tinted Van’s canopy.

2airotz.jpg

Here’s another thread.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=112930&highlight=Transition+lenses

I'm not much of a shopper and nearest Costco is 86 miles away.

What are Transition Lenses - and are they available at Rite Aide, Walmart, Walgreens, etc?

Transition Lenses are an adaptive lens that get darker with more UV light. In other words, they are Photochromic lenses that get darker in the presence of UV light.

Here is a LINK to the outfit that has the patent. Yes it is there product and marketing tool but for more years than I can remember, they live up to what they promise. (I had "Photo Grey" lens before the Transitions were marketed.)

Yes the optical department at Walmart has them. That is where the last two years I had my eye examined and lens replaced.

Last edited:
While training with Jetguy in his RV12/Dynon D180 I was having a devil of a time reading the screen. He or I thought it might be the transition lens, so I got a pair of "normal" bifocals, the problems went away. I now keep a pair of clear glasses in the plane I fly.

Update to original post

Update: they gave me a sample lens to try. Pilot D-100 viewable but dark. Right seat screen was completely black. Sigh ...

Costco Drivewear Transitions are polarized Regular transitions are not. They said it takes about 65% of full UV light to get the regular Transitions to darken. The Drivewears only need 15%. My 6A must let that much through.

They said they have lots of customers who don't want polarized in their cars either due to the "waffle" distortion in the side windows but they don't sell them yet.

Flew behind transition lenses for years and never had a problem with them whatsoever. That said, I had Lasik on both eyes a year ago and am 20/20 and glasses free, so I can wear whatever I like for sunglasses. :)

Last edited:
Nothing beats Serengeti Drivers (non-polarized) in the cockpit. As I've gotten a tad older and near and mid vision are not what they once were I use Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal lenses on the Serengeti's. Not prescription glasses but they work remarkably well.

Back