What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door insulation?

dspender

Well Known Member
Getting ready to bond the outer and inner door shells. Does it make any sense/advisable to install a thin layer of insulation where possible?

I drilled a few strategically located 1/4" holes in the cavities of the door after it was bonded, mounted, and closed. I then squirted in minimal expansion spray foam until it foamed out the holes, let it cure and trimmed off the access, dug out a little foam around the holes and patched it up with some flox. Along with adding a little insulation, the foam creates a stress skin structure which adds a little rigidity to the doors. I had to dig out some of the foam for the door mechanical mechanisms but that was not a big deal.

Nope

Getting ready to bond the outer and inner door shells. Does it make any sense/advisable to install a thin layer of insulation where possible?

Not in my opinion. Most find that the gas struts for the doors that come from Van's are too weak and don't last, requiring installation of the heavier duty struts from Bansbach (search archives). Adding insulation doesn't really accomplish anything except make the doors heavier, in my opinion, exacerbating the problem.

Not the question asked, but, ...
Before closing up the door halves, make some hard points and attach nutplates, if you contemplate putting a pull strap or something similar on the door.

I'm building an RV-3b, not a -10, but my Cessna 180 has uninsulated doors. The door's upholstery is adequate insulation. The cabin heater keeps up fine. The main source of heat loss is through gaps that let air in and out.

I'd recommend spending some effort sealing the cabin's air gaps as having higher value, unless you're not upholstering the doors. It will give lower drag, too.

Dave

Not the question asked, but, ...
Before closing up the door halves, make some hard points and attach nutplates, if you contemplate putting a pull strap or something similar on the door.

Alternatively, drill your attach holes after the fact, squeeze some flox/resin mixture in, and then redrill and tap after the flox has set up.

Back