What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More carbon monoxide

bob888

Well Known Member
I appreciate comments/suggestions I got from the recent prior thread. I am still stymied as to source of low level CO in the cockpit and have investigated all the sources I can think of. I would like to know if anyone out there had a similar problem (CO levels persistently in 20 - 30 ppm range) and found a solution.

I have a electronic carbon Monoxide detector and someone, can't say who, took off with the slider canopy unlocked. From crosswind to downwind the detector alerted. Remember, the slider was in place just not locked. Locked the slider and the detector silenced. Might want to check those seals around the canopy. Dan from Reno

Last edited:
Make friends with a furnace repairman. Buy him a case of beer and have him bring his tester to sniff out the source of CO.

From Vetterman

Hi Bob888, I missed out on the earlier thread so perhaps some of the following suggestions you have already addressed.
Have you pulled off the muffler shrouds to inspect the muffler cans for cracks?
FYI we have never had one crack, but there?s a first time for everything.
Have you looked at the slip joints where the primary pipes go into the collector?
All of these will leak a very small amount, but occasionally the amount grows over many hours and a slip joint will need to be resized.
There?s lots going on inside a cowling and air does funny things. I?m guessing you?ve looked for leaks in the firewall area.
As always, feel free to give us a call if we can help.
Clint Busenitz/ Vetterman Exhaust

It's most definitely coming from a small opening in the firewall which RTV will fix as soon as you can locate it. Flashlight in a dark hangar I've heard works well. I have the Sensorcon which has indicated no carbon monoxide ever in the cockpit

I had a poorly sealed lower wing root fairing (the rubber wasn?t tight against the fuselage). The CO reduced, but not eliminated when I sealed that up. Still looking for more places.

Thanks for responding ClintB. I have inspected exhaust but haven,t taken heat shrouds off. However, no change in CO readings whether heat is on or off so I assume no percentage in taking shrouds off...

Double check for exhaust leak

When I had my 6, it was a small exhaust leak from a exhaust flange being slightly off.

You would only get a CO alarm in certain conditions.

I believe there?s a possibility for CO to come up to the cockpit from the openings around the empennage. Consider that the canopy is a big bulge creating a relative low pressure area. If this bulge has an air leak (not facing forward) air will tend to go out to satisfy the relative low pressure. The make up air has to come from some other area which is not quite as low in pressure. That could be by the lower rudder where exhaust gases could also be present.

I?m I am right, the fix could be to seal the back baggage bulkhead. Difficult but not unsurmountable.

My opinions only.

Bevan.

Back