What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 LEFT SIDE THROTTLE

joe1968

Well Known Member
DO NOT SEE MANY RV7 COCKPITS LEFT SIDE THROTTLE CONTROLS USUALLY ALWAYS CENTER MOUNTED IS THERE A SPECIFIC REASON OR JUST EASE OF INSTALLATION. I'M TRYING TO DECIDE ON A 7 OR 8 STILL

THANKS
JOE

DO NOT SEE MANY RV7 COCKPITS LEFT SIDE THROTTLE CONTROLS USUALLY ALWAYS CENTER MOUNTED IS THERE A SPECIFIC REASON OR JUST EASE OF INSTALLATION. I'M TRYING TO DECIDE ON A 7 OR 8 STILL

THANKS
JOE

There is a specific reason - Van's designed the airplane that way so both front occupants could use the throttle.

A secondary reason is that the installation is dead simple - order the parts from Van's and bolt them on the airplane. If you want to do a left hand throttle, you're going to have to work a number of things out like cable routings and length.

It isn't that hard - I set my -6 up with a left hand throttle.

I've seen a couple side by sides set up to fly 'English' style too with flight instruments on the right, that would give you your left throttle. Suggestion would be to have dual EFIS screens so plane would be conventional when time to sell it.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple side by sides set up to fly 'English' style too with flight instruments on the right, that would give you your left throttle. Suggestion would be to have dual EFIS screens so plane would be conventional when time to sell it.

On the other hand, build what you want but leave the door open to convert to the standard center engine controls if that's ever necessary. $250 of parts from Van's and a day's worth of installing cables and you're there...

Our 7 has left-hand engine controls and my son and I love it! Just like the military airplanes, the Champ and the RV-8 in our past!

Last edited:
I have a left and center throttle control

I also wanted my left hand on the throttle. My father and I came up with a simple solution. The center throttle cable goes back and around to the left throttle. The left goes to the engine. Works perfectly, and in some respects better then expected. There is enough drag on the two cables that I never use the throttle locks, though I have two. It works smoothly and easily. I can send you pictures if you are interested.

I set up my 6A to fly from the right side. No regrets. I much prefer stick in my right hand and throttle in my left.

Left

I flew my 7AC for 33 years before I built my RV6 its just like a Cessna or Piper you don't know the difference .
Bob

I am an -8/Cub driver and had never flown a control stick equipped airplane without being right hand stick/left hand throttle. Even thinking about reversing that made me feel a little awkward.

I then flew a Sling LSA out in California this summer from the pilot seat. Left hand stick/right hand throttle. I remember after getting out of the airplane, the thought of the stick/throttle being reversed did not cross my mind one time getting in, during the flight, or getting out of the airplane. It was as natural as flying any Cessna/Piper.

To each his own!

Picture

Ok so I've uploaded a picture I found in my collection and we'll see how this works.

This picture of my panel shows the center throttle and on the left you can see the left side throttle. The red you see by the left side is the top of my water bottle not part of the throttle. The center throttle cable goes back and wraps around the left side. You can see the cable below the left side throttle. We took a normal throttle quadrant and used only the one throttle handle. On the throttle itself we extended the aluminum lever so it went below the quadrant. The extended portion is the same length as the upper portion. So the center hole to each cable hole is the same. When you push in on the center throttle it pushes the lower portion of the left throttle back, and thus the upper portion forward. The upper portion goes out to the engine. I hope my explanation is clear.

Let me know if there are questions.

Last edited:
An inconvenience no one has mentioned; if you fly left seat with right hand on the stick, you will constantly be changing hands to operate radios, transponder, switches, etc.
First, try flying with left hand. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

An inconvenience no one has mentioned; if you fly left seat with right hand on the stick, you will constantly be changing hands to operate radios, transponder, switches, etc.
First, try flying with left hand. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Very good point

Everyone, in the USA, drives left handed (so they can text right handed). Flying left handed is very natural and leaves the right hand to run the electronics, just like in the car.

Build what you want, that is the beauty of building your own airplane.

Some instructors won't get in a plane unless they have access to all the controls. Thus it might be difficult to get a Flight Review (and sell the plane) in the future.

I have flow airplanes with sticks in either the left or right hand and it isn't a big deal to switch back and fourth.

I put a center throttle quadrant in my plane and wouldn't ever build one with the Cessna style throttle, mixture, (and prop) controls.

New%2520Panel%25202.JPG

(Old picture, but you get the idea.)

This is laid out so once your hand is on the quadrant you can toggle the flaps up and down with your middle finger of your right hand (flying from the left seat) and on a go-around, you can push the carb heat in with your thumb as your hand moves all the levers forward. Very ergonomic and great for flying formation. When flying formation the palm of your hand is on the quadrant and your thumb hooks the throttle lever, making very small adjustments. Also, it is not in the why when sitting in the aircraft.

I've been flying that way for 18 years. The transponder gets changed once a flight (generally on the ground), the radio a little more frequently, and the switches are oriented so there's no need to switch hands to operate (say) the fuel pump.

If you want a left hand throttle, built it that way and organize things so it is convenient to fly that way. Ain't that hard.

I built my aircraft to be flown from the right seat due to thousands of hours in single seat aircraft. If you are right handed, you will be much smoother than sitting in the left seat. (That's not to say that you won't become proficient over time. After all, there are many military pilots who had to "switch hands"...)

When it comes down to it, there is no justification for designing the aircraft to be flown from the right...

As to having to change hands to change the radios, my stack is biased slightly left, so my left hand does its thing...

It will be your aircraft; do what makes you happy! (;>0)

I got the opportunity to fly a 7 (before I bought my 8) and it had two sets of Piper type throttle quadrants one set in the middle and the other on the left side wall panel, was ugly, cumbersome and really put me off. In the middle only would have been ideal as most pilots can switch from right to left handling without difficulty. I drive my 8 with throttle L/H & stick R/H and also a Lear (Capt) with opposite handling, I don't even give it a second thought. I think in a side by side cockpit a single throttle design on one side only will severely limit its saleability, something that should always be considered.

Last edited:
Compared to the panel upgrades many of us do, moving the engine controls is, at best, a minor change. As a multiple RV buyer, left side/right side wouldn't be a buy/no buy consideration if the rest of the airplane was really nice.

Back