What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Losing Instruments/EMS

The Skyview system that came with my RV12 SLSA had to be replaced under warranty and Dynon sent me a rebuilt unit early in 2017. Since then I've seen periodic "Standby System Failure" messages and more rarely, screen failures where the EMS or flight instruments screens drop out. Each time that happens I've been in touch with Dynon and they say "probably a wiring fault" but I've had an avionics tech check wiring on two occasions now. (We did not check the roll servo connections and AHDRS connections and will schedule that next.)

So, I've sent the Skyview unit in twice this summer, once to have the software updated when it locked up on my software update, once to have it checked when that new software failed to detect and update the other components. Last time the screen went haywire I landed and downloaded diagnostic files, but my Dynon tech rep says they only prove the problems occurred, without saying why.

Advice would be appreciated. I only trust the plane for local flights now since I've had to land without instruments.

Try this

Ted,

If the SkyView screen was checked out by Dynon, you need to look at something else in the system. Where Dynon says check out the wiring, you can do a simple check. Since both the ADHARS and EMS module are the ones showing faults, check the Network Status when the fault happens. Any other units like the servos on the SkyView bus could be at fault like a short on the Power or Data Wires, which are the Green, Blue, the White/Green, and White/Blue wires. The power ones could also be shorted, which are the Red, Black, White/Red, and the White/Black. With a short on anyone of those wires, and since they are all common to all the other units, it will cause a loss of valid signals from the ADHARS and EMS. You can start removing each component from the system and start adding them back until the the system fails. Also you might need to use a new set of SkyView bus cables as the problem could be in one of the connectors or the hub.

To check on SkyView network status, enter the NETWORK STATUS… Menu in the Network Setup Menu (SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > SKYVIEW NETWORK SETUP > NETWORK STATUS…).

Look for any line in Yellow or Red. If it is in Yellow, and if there is a open or short in the data lines, it will tell you below the Yellow line.

If you have any more questions, you can PM me and we can talk more.

Brian

Last edited:
I too had numerous problems and failures with the SkyView that came with my new SLSA 2014 model.

After several unit returns to Dynon and hours on the phone with their tech support I was eventually swapped out with a like new refurbished unit

Don’t know if I, or the other SLSAs, received lemon units but the refurbished replacement unit has worked really since I installed it

Last edited:
Just so intermittent

Thank you both for your comments. Part of the challenge is the screen works fine for extended periods, then suddenly fails. If it's a broken wire or short wouldn't the failure continue? My last 40 minute flight there were no issues, the previous 90 minute flight I had multiple times when the EMS and instruments were Xed out.

Thank you both for your comments. Part of the challenge is the screen works fine for extended periods, then suddenly fails. If it's a broken wire or short wouldn't the failure continue? My last 40 minute flight there were no issues, the previous 90 minute flight I had multiple times when the EMS and instruments were Xed out.

I would start by inspecting connectors for loose wires / badly crimped / unseated pins. And shorts can be intermittent.

Can you relate the failures to temperatures?

I have limited experience with Dynon's SkyView, but have you mapped out the SV Net connections to all the connected devices? Are the failures associated with one particular leg of the SV Net wiring, or are the failures on the end of one long connected net? This is just a place to start looking and isolating the failures.

Ted, FWIW I?d remove the backs shells from the network 9 pin connectors & physically give each wire a gentle pull to check if the sockets are ?locked in? -anyone using a DMM to just testing wiring continuity can only find a broken wire or maybe shorting, a gentle pull will confirm that the socket (pin) is actually making contact - just saying;)

Ted,
This is going to be quite complicated to run down and would like to discuss it with you on the phone due to this. Give me a call 425-402-0433, if I am not available, leave a message and I will get back to you asap.

Last edited:
So it was the screen all along.

Just a note that Don's number got transposed in his message, it should start with 425.

My Skyview screen is back at Dynon, I'm hoping "third time's the charm" as this will be the third time it has gone in this year. As a buyer of an SLSA with limited avionics troubleshooting ability, I paid an avionics tech to work with me to check all the wiring connections: no shorts and no breaks to any of the components.

Then we called Dynon and technician to technician, they were able to confirm the Skyview itself was failing: one clue, it would not detect any of the components using the top 9 pin connector, and continued to say "Data pair 1 and 6 fault" on the bottom. Dynon is planning to replace the communications chip and possibly other components so I have a reliable plane again.

Ted, Glad we finally got to the bottom of the issue. Things like this are often very difficult to find in the field. I fixed the phone number in my post.

Really Good or Really Bad?

My Skyview screen is on the way back to me after 5 days at the Dynon plant and the email invoice says "No Charge."

That could be really good news, they fixed it and in view of the time and money invested on this end they decided to foot the bill themselves.

Or it could mean it can't be fixed and I'll have to figure out how to afford a new system, which would be really bad.

I've had to send my T1000 back for two items. One was an internal failure that they said was very rare, the other was because I bent the Left knob sometime during installation and it didn't register any rotational inputs. They took care of both of those for no charge despite the fact that the unit was well over 2 years old from the date of purchase via Van's. I've asked three or four tech questions by email and phone, and have had answers within 72 hours, despite my comments that they questions were informational only. They allow me to download nav data for free, when Garmin charges $800/yr for my certified aircraft. Even if you have a charge, I expect you are still getting a bargain.

-dbh
-----
N76012 RV-12
N7623V C-177RG
N883CD SR-22

Happy Ending

Thought I should update any of you who have been following this post. I've now had two flights with the rebuilt unit Dynon sent me with no serious issues: a couple brief "standby network errors" but no loss of instruments.

The "no charge" invoice Dynon sent with the rebuilt unit specified it had failed under the warranty period and so they were waiving the cost. That is a generous interpretation by the company since the problem was not definitely diagnosed until well outside the warranty period. If things had gone the other way, if we were told we needed to shell out $4000 for a new system, there would have been some serious discussions in the family about whether it might be time to trade this plane in on something less expensive.

I have to compliment Dynon for their response to this long-running issue.

Back