What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightening hole question

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
So it?s becoming clear that getting to the electronic components behind the instrument panel is going to be challenging to say the least. I haven?t seen very many builders that have cut lightning holes in the sub panel or ribs behind the instrument panel. Just looking for a show of hands that have done this as I?m concerned about messing with the structural integrity. I plan on large cut outs in the instrument panel for the Garmin series Thanks

Issues of potential structural integrity should be referred to the factory rather than us. We might not get it right.

Dave

The instruction manual for the -10 gave specific examples of how to reinforce cutouts in the subpanel. For the ribs, Vans does not approve so you?re on your own.

No real specific guidance from the mother ship other than to say a 1 1/2 to 2” hole for a wire bundle pass thru would probably be ok with a doubler around the hole. Sounds reasonable. I’ve also seen a flush access panel in the top skin over the sub panel area. But then there’s the issue of sealing it properly.

Last edited:
One thing I plan on doing in the future if ever needed is make some rather thick foam blocks that rest on the floor and are level with the seats (or close to it). In this case it should be relatively comfy to lie under a panel.

Back