What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended fuel stop enroute to Air Venture

ALagonia

Well Known Member
I have a 9 with an O-360 engine. Looking for recommendations for an RV friendly fuel stop. Departing North Georgia.
Thanks for any help.

Right now, I'm planning Kankakee, IL. About 200 miles from the show. That makes for a good one stop strategy for us, despite not so good fuel prices.

Depending on fuel and bladder, our two stop strategy is usually French Lick Indiana and Aurora, Il. The challenge with Aurora is they have massive expansion joints in some of the taxiways and runways that beat the **** out of a tailwheel.

Coming from the SE, Starke County (KOXI) has been a reliable stop. Showing $4.14 on AirNav today. Usually have hot dogs for the OSH traffic. Paved N-S, turf E-W.

From there, fly the Chicago lakefront VFR corridor and turn left before Waukegan.

Skyvector.com

Center on Chicago, then click the tab for "Chicago FLY"

Kyle,
I can sympathize with you on the bang, bang, bang of those concrete expansion joints. I just upgraded to the Flyboy's Condor 2 pneumatic tailwheel, problem solved! Great mod!

I?m coming from central Georgia and planning a fuel stop at Madison, IN (KIMS) and an overnight stop in Watertown, WI (KRYV) with an early morning departure for the short hop to RIPON/FISKE/KOSH - planning to be over FISKE at 0730 on Sun.

Depending on your route, and if you want to fly East of Chicago then French Lick may be on your way but if decide to go West of Chicago you want want to stop at Dekalb which is just West of the Chicago Class B. It can get a bit busy too but it has multiple runways and they've been really nice the last 3 or 4 times I've stopped there. The Fuel price has always been fair. They even break out the free Hot Dog and Soft drinks for the OSH bound pilots making a stop there.

Fuel stop

If coming from the north west Stevens point (KSTE) is a good place to top up before OSH.

About 55 miles away and relatively cheap gas, presently showing $3.96.

Carr

I?m coming from central Georgia and planning a fuel stop at Madison, IN (KIMS) and an overnight stop in Watertown, WI (KRYV) with an early morning departure for the short hop to RIPON/FISKE/KOSH - planning to be over FISKE at 0730 on Sun.

I also like to stage out of Watertown. It's especially handy if you want to overnight, since there are hotels within easy walking distance of the airport. Also the people are super friendly, and it's close enough to OSH that the final leg is nice and easy.

That really came in handy last year when it took three tries to get in. I bought gas at RYV three times in the same day! (wait, maybe that's why they were so friendly)

DeKalb (KDKB) in Illinois was always my last stop coming up from Florida. They have hot dogs on the grill and cold water in the cooler. It's west of Chicago and about an hour south of KOSH.

Already have my room booked at Watertown for a Saturday night stay with a dawn departure into OSH on Sunday

Same here, Mark. Let?s get together for dinner Sat evening.

Sounds like a plan. I'm flying up in my Christen Eagle along with another Eagle out of Dallas and an RV-7. There is a Mexican place walking distance on the opposite side of the road as the airport. A few other pilots from Texas are meeting there.

Always a good time.

Back