VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-03-2015, 03:46 AM

Default Todd's canopies

A group of us here in England need 8 canopies in total, of various types (RV-8, Harmon Ricket, Fournier RF4), and have been trying to get them from Todd. Initial response was good but now, for weeks, nothing. Is this experience typical? Any hints or tips on how to progress this quite large order?
We know that his canopies are excellent and so far as we know he is the only supplier of Rocket and RF4 canopies. But being 3000 miles and an ocean away is a bit difficult......
Thanks
Chris

Repeat offender;
RV-8, QB, built, flown 150 hours, sold;
RV-4 - attempted repair, rebuild and remediation - abandoned and junked ;
RV-4 fuselage and wing kits - both at QB stage;
2015-2018 dues paid!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:02 AM

Default Todd's

I have a Todd's Canopy , really happy with it , would do it again .
I picked mine up at his shop , and got to see his operation . Most would be amazed that it's Todd and maybe two helpers in a rented 1000 (?) square foot shop , vacume forming on a home built oven with old shop vacs .
Todd is an amazing talent , has lots of work , little time for customer service . Tell him what you want and a reasonable timeframe , I'm sure he will get back to you when he gets a chance .
2017 donation paid
Old 10-03-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g zero View Post
I have a Todd's Canopy , really happy with it , would do it again .
I picked mine up at his shop , and got to see his operation . Most would be amazed that it's Todd and maybe two helpers in a rented 1000 (?) square foot shop , vacume forming on a home built oven with old shop vacs .
Todd is an amazing talent , has lots of work , little time for customer service . Tell him what you want and a reasonable timeframe , I'm sure he will get back to you when he gets a chance .
Interesting, our "industry" is made of many small operations, not major corporations.

I have wondered, to expand that canopy to a certain shape, does it depend on the temperature management alone to allow the pressure to expand, or is there some kind of mold where the canopy is expanded to meet a fixed mold? I saw a TV program where a bubble was made but it just used pressure to expand and temperature of the sheet had to be even or the bubble would be odd shaped.

Thanks in advance.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 AM

A few years back a small group of us here in California worked with Todd to buy three different canopies and share freight from Florida. It worked out great, saved us quite a bit on shipping, and I'm very happy with my tinted RV-8 canopy. Be patient!
RV-8 Build Log
Old 10-03-2015, 09:39 AM

We did a group buy (of 2) Rocket canopies recently, and while he is great to work with up front, accomodates custom requirements without hesitation, and the end product is excellent, expect a bit of a wait beyond his promised delivery.

Just the nature of his operation.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM

According to Facebook, Todd was on vacation recently. Be patient. I'm sure he'll catch up to you.

Good products!!!
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 10-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Wink Todd's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Interesting, our "industry" is made of many small operations, not major corporations.

I have wondered, to expand that canopy to a certain shape, does it depend on the temperature management alone to allow the pressure to expand, or is there some kind of mold where the canopy is expanded to meet a fixed mold? I saw a TV program where a bubble was made but it just used pressure to expand and temperature of the sheet had to be even or the bubble would be odd shaped.

Thanks in advance.

Todd's are all " Free Blown " only form is the perimeter . Pretty much the way you blow soap bubbles , but instead of soap it's plastic that's sucked with a vacuum. A lot of Art and trade knowledge goes into getting the right shape .

His oven is the body and frame from an old "pop up " trailer with a bunch of heating elements that are each separately controlled . Vacuum is provided by some shop vacs .
2017 donation paid
Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Todd

Todd was great when it came to ordering my canopy. After I received it he spent a huge amount of time giving me this on the installation. I truly appreciated his sincere desire to help ensure my canopy was installed properly.
Gary
Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks - I'll just wait a little I guess.

Chris

Repeat offender;
RV-8, QB, built, flown 150 hours, sold;
RV-4 - attempted repair, rebuild and remediation - abandoned and junked ;
RV-4 fuselage and wing kits - both at QB stage;
2015-2018 dues paid!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:00 PM

If you wait quietly, you will be waiting for months. I tried it. The more silent you are, the less likely you will see your canopies any time soon. When I ordered mine he promised it would ship within the week. I think I heard that promise another half dozen or so times before he finally shipped it.....14 weeks later. It only shipped then because I told him if I didn't have a tracking number by Friday I was ordering a Vans canopy and expected a refund.

Nice enough canopy, but if I were to build another 100 RV's, none of them would have a Todds canopy on it. Besides the bong smoke customer service, the shape difference makes Van's already questionable fiberglass fit even worse.....which means more work.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan