What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider frame / rear skin interference

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
This site and many blogs have been a great help, and I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the slider frame fitting process. I am closing in on a good fit, but have run into this problem:

The aft end of the side rails need to come in slightly, as they are even with, and not set back 1/16" from the side skins. However even as it is now, when I try to slide the canopy back, the rear bow interferes slightly with both turtledeck skins. If I were to bend the rails into the proper position, that interference would be even worse. It doesn't stop it from sliding, but it does press the skin in slightly in the process.

Now, I do understand that the canopy will spread the frame out a bit, but I thought the current size, withe the side rails just slightly inset, is what I am shooting for after the canopy is attached as well. Or is it that after the canopy is installed, the side rails should be flush with the side skin? That would make more sense, but the directions seem to imply otherwise. Either way, it seems the frame will hit the skin...

I hope I have made this clear enough, I'm sure I'm not the first person to wonder about this.

2wfjps8.jpg

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
Hey Chris,
I had the same problem and it may have been the only time I called Van's. They told me the skins could be trimmed back if necessary. I did not care much for that answer so I kept building and figured I would worry about it later. It ended up that it did not rub when I finished the canopy. It is funny how much we worry about the frame shape but it seems to come together in the end. In this case the frame can be about anywhere becuase it is the pins in the blocks and their angle in that fit the offset of the frame.

Makes sense, thanks Mark. I had figured it would be a minor issue, but nice to know I'm not missing something big and obvious.

Chris

Back