- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-30-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chastain View Post
That is when all the fun began.
Nice cliffhanger...can't wait to hear the next episode!
(Wings: 2.0%)

https://www.facebook.com/fliegen.beagle
Dues Happily Paid 2017
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM

Well, doesn't it just figure that when you finally drop into an unfriendly, unwelcoming, rude place, it's Minnesota, the home of "Minnesota Nice." Cripes.

There's nothing in the AFS about needing to call. It notes fuel is available 24 hours a day. And that the FBO opens at 8am. The airport is owned by the state of Minnesota.

I feel like organizing a massive unannounced fly-in to 48Y to protect our right to fly there without bowing to these people.

I'm sorry you had such a rude introduction to my state. It's cold up here sometimes. And the weather is often chilly, too.
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 08-30-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
I feel like organizing a massive unannounced fly-in to 48Y to protect our right to fly there without bowing to these people.
Chuckle... I'd sign up for that one.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Imagine joining ICE with visions of fighting terrorism at the hot spot borders of our great nation...then being sent to an isolated spot on a two lane road to Canada, probably for being a jerk.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM

He's stuck in Roseau and isn't even a hockey fan. It's gotta be tough.
Builder log
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM

Arrow Yeah, but...

... doesn't the organization bear some responsibility for telling its people that they don't need to be 'jackboots' all the time? My taxes are paying his salary. Wish I could write a couple of lines into his annual performance review. And when you fly along the northern border you see just how porous it really is. What makes him think that an interloper is actually going to land at a border airport and be counted?? Somebody isn't seeing the big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Imagine joining ICE with visions of fighting terrorism at the hot spot borders of our great nation...then being sent to an isolated spot on a two lane road to Canada, probably for being a jerk.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM

We always assume border crossing only travel in one direction. But when the drunk Michiganders invaded, the Canadians stood on guard for thee.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/us/can...oat-down-trnd/

More seriously, the one problem with trips to discover America is sometimes you find parts you don't like.This would be one.So embarrassing.
Builder log
Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
Well, doesn't it just figure that when you finally drop into an unfriendly, unwelcoming, rude place, it's Minnesota, the home of "Minnesota Nice." Cripes.

There's nothing in the AFS about needing to call. It notes fuel is available 24 hours a day. And that the FBO opens at 8am. The airport is owned by the state of Minnesota.

I'm sorry you had such a rude introduction to my state. It's cold up here sometimes. And the weather is often chilly, too.
IF I am available, I will join in on your massive unannounced fly-in to 48Y.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Default Piney Pinecrick

Flew into Piney Pinecreek on the way home from Swan River in my 6 a few years ago. Pretty uneventful, but I do remember the Customs Officer seemed pretty cranky. When I told him I had been north bowhunting bears his deadpan response was 'we have bears in Minnesota'. Must not be a preferred duty station for these guys.
2017 =VAF= donor
Old 08-31-2016, 01:04 AM

Default 26 July: Roseau, MN

After making my appointment at the Polaris factory for a 2:00 p.m. tour, I drove back to the airport to change into a pair of shoes. On the way, I stopped at the Roseau War Veterans Memorial that was located in a park along the main highway. Surrounded by engraved stones memorializing the lives of veterans of WWI, WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, the centerpiece read, “Honoring all who served, and dedicated to the noble deeds of the men and women of Roseau County who served their country, and especially to the everlasting memory of those who gave their lives to preserve the freedoms of humanity.”

I was deeply reminded of my purpose by the efficacy of the message and by the beauty of the memorial itself as it lay awash in the mid-day sun of an American small town. It fully reinstilled the aim of my mission as I ventured forth from the square and drove back onto the wheat-bordered airport. There was a harvest coming soon:

Back at the Polaris factory, there were three other Minnesotans and myself on the tour. Our guide reminded us that all cell phones and cameras had to be left at the front desk before entry onto the floor. She had each of us wear remote earphones so that we would be able to hear her over the din and the grind of the manufacturing process. Thousands of ATV’s and snowmobiles were produced there every year, and we were going to witness nearly every stage of that process. The entire tour lasted about an hour: From the massive welding department, to the steel fabrication and bending areas, to the bathing preparation and powder coating facilities, to final assembly, testing, packing, and shipping areas. The plant was enormous. Men and women were working with focus and drive and an ingrained stamina that was at once machine-like but powered by the passions of the human heart. It was American manufacturing at its best, and I could tell people were very happy to be working there.

After the tour, I walked over to the Polaris Experience Center, a museum hosting a chronology of manufactured pieces dating back to the beginnings of the company, first called by the founders’ last names:

The American themes of entrepreneurship, rugged individualism, radical experimentation, showmanship, and public endearment pervaded the museum throughout. The history itself was impressive, and witnessing the technological evolution of the Polaris machinery was both captivating and inspiring. Being there, I prided on my American birthright. I knew my country would rise up, bearing the same themes I had witnessed there that day, no matter the need or occasion or tribulation to come, to bear the mantle of freedom the world over. I never thought snowmobiles all that inspiring. Until then.

By late afternoon, my morning French toast had digested toward a growling hunger, and I missed my sandals. I decided to go back to the airport to cook up some lunch. When I got there, I had company.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-31-2016 at 01:26 AM.