What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly towing services: Norcal/East Bay

DrillBit

Well Known Member
Anyone in the Pleasanton/Livermore area have a recommendation for a flatbed towing service to take an on-gear 9A fuselage from home to hangar?

Richard Ortenheim

Try contacting Richard Ortenheim from Skyview Aviation based at Tracy. He is the DAR that signed off my plane, and mentioned he had a flatbed for transporting airplanes as I have to truck mine from San Carlos to Livermore to do my Phase 1. His company transports and containerizes planes, so he knows what he's doing.

To move my -10 from Castro Valley to LVK I went to Lewis Rents (I think it has changed hands and is now Neff Rentals) in San Lorenzo and rented a tilt-bed truck. Pretty easy to winch it up the tilted flat bed. Make sure you really tie it down - you don't know how bad 580 is until you drive it on a truck suspension. I made two trips; one with the fuselage, a second one with the wings (in a wing stand) and engine (crated). I made a pre-rental visit to Lewis with a tape measure; only one of their two trucks had a bed wide enough for a -10's gear.
I suspect either would be okay for a -9.

Last edited:
Based on photographic evidence, I believe Matt Dralle has used R Lance & Sons Towing in the Livermore area.

Thanks for the excellent leads, guys!

I have a relatively straight shot from southeastern P-town, Stanley Blvd east, Isabel Ave N and Bob's your uncle. Nothing over 45 mph 'til the wings are on. :)

Back