What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil level gauge tube and gauge assembly

Robert M

Well Known Member
I am looking for a couple of parts for my Lycoming O-320 A2B, the oil level gage tube, part # 75736 and the oil level gage part # 69116. According to the official LYCOMING AIRCRAFT ENGINES, PARTS CATALOG PC-103, FOR THE O-320, IO-320 AND LIO-320 Series, as supplied to me by Lycoming for narrow deck engines - these are the parts I need.

I have found the tube - plenty of places - but not the gage. I even checked the parts available from Lycoming and THEY don't have. Their search doesn't even recognize the part number.

Part # 69116 does not show up in the "superseded" or "superseding" section of the parts manual.

I have a tube (long, plastic) but not sure it's the right one. It is 11.1/2" long.

Disclaimer: The spelling of the word "gage" comes straight from the Lycoming manual.

I may just find me a plug that fits the top of the tube I have, drill a hole, cut a piece of stainless rod, thread one end, tap the plug and, at 2 quarts a shot, mark the rod.

Anyone know where I can find the part I'm looking for?

For reference I have tried Lycoming, Aircraft Spruce, Aircraft Specialties Services, ECI (Continental engines), Barnstormers, Wicks, Skygeek, Chief Aircraft and a few others.

Help.

eBay? (I used the keyword "dipstick") I didn't find a P/N 69116, but you can always buy a longer one and cut it off to calibrate it to your engine.

Thanks. I tried the Ebay thing. The tube I got was too short - my bad - but it also had too large of a diameter to fit my plastic tube. That's why I was hoping to find the tube and stick by part number - they go together.

Check with Wentworth for used parts.

thanks, hadn't thought of Wentworth.

The tube I got was too short...
I put a bigger engine in my plane than the plans called for (O-290 vs. O-235) and when I hung the engine, I was dismayed to find that the oil filler tube contacted the engine mount just slightly. So I applied a redneck fix: I removed 1" of the tube down near the bottom and used a piece of heavy rubber hose to bridge the gap. That allowed me to bend the tube just enough to clear the engine mount. I used Plio-Bond and hose clamps to hold everything together, and tied off the upper part of the filler tube to the baffling. I had to shorten the "dipstick" by sawing off the upper end until the markings matched the quantity of oil in the crankcase. So far my redneck fix has worked just fine.

I have an extra filler tube at the hangar and will check the P/N next time I'm out there. You're welcome to it if it will help you.

You're in luck

This P/N 75736 has been sitting around in my junk box for about ten years so if you'll PM your address, I'll mail it to you tomorrow. I can't guarantee the dipstick is the matching part because there's no P/N on it that I can find. I'll be glad somebody can get some use out of them.

ExsQQP.jpg

Not to add left or right to this discussion - just a datapoint...

I bought a used IO360B1B and converted it to M1B using the Superior cold-air forward induction sump. My oil dipstick rod separated from the oil dipstick threaded cap at 130 hours engine time, and yes I complied with the SB for cutting and remarking the dipstick to conform with the superior sump.

Not sure this had anything at all to do with the components involved, looked like it just worked its way loose. I used JB Weld on the socket itself and then bedded the entire joint inside the cap in fiberglass resin to keep the oil away from the JB weld, 15 hours on it so far, no change.

Not to add left or right to this discussion - just a datapoint...

I bought a used IO360B1B and converted it to M1B using the Superior cold-air forward induction sump. My oil dipstick rod separated from the oil dipstick threaded cap at 130 hours engine time, and yes I complied with the SB for cutting and remarking the dipstick to conform with the superior sump.

Not sure this had anything at all to do with the components involved, looked like it just worked its way loose. I used JB Weld on the socket itself and then bedded the entire joint inside the cap in fiberglass resin to keep the oil away from the JB weld, 15 hours on it so far, no change.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on it.

I have a O320 in my RV4 with the same problem with the oil fill tube hitting the engine mount. I was going to do the same as you but have not found a suitable hose that can handle oil and heat. What kind of hose did you use and how is holding up?
Thanks
Fred

That part number is superseded

Robert said:
snipped

Part # 69116 does not show up in the "superseded" or "superseding" section of the parts manual.

I have a tube (long, plastic) but not sure it's the right one. It is 11.1/2" long.

Disclaimer: The spelling of the word "gage" comes straight from the Lycoming manual.

I may just find me a plug that fits the top of the tube I have, drill a hole, cut a piece of stainless rod, thread one end, tap the plug and, at 2 quarts a shot, mark the rod.

Anyone know where I can find the part I'm looking for?

For reference I have tried Lycoming, Aircraft Spruce, Aircraft Specialties Services, ECI (Continental engines), Barnstormers, Wicks, Skygeek, Chief Aircraft and a few others.

Help.

Robert part number 69116 has been superseded. The new part number is L W - 14758. You're looking in the wrong publication for superseded numbers. You need to use SSP 499 C to look up superseded numbers. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you more info.

Charlie

Back