What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long shot, but I have a Narco 12d that needs some display work

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hey guys, this is a long shot, and not even related to a Vans aircraft, but our 172K has Narco Radios, audio panel, and ADF. One of our NAV/Comm Narcos (MK 12d TSO) has the typical display issue that these things are plagued with.

I am very handy with electronics, and I have sourced the displays, but this is a certificated aircraft for IFR, and I am not an A&P or no where "paperworked" to swap this display. I seriously could do this work in about 20 minutes and be totally comfortable doing it, but I can't.

Do any of you guys know of a good avionics shop that I can send this thing off to and have them replace the display for a decent price? Most of the shops around here won't even mess with them Narco's anymore.

I sent a MK12D to El Paso Aero this last summer and was really impressed with there work and turnaround time. Obviously the price of labor hurt but the replacement parts were reasonable.

Awesome! I will give them a call and see if this is something they'd be willing to look at. The display works fine in the daytime, which is why we never really noticed it. But one of the partners took the plane up for some night work to stay current and said its getting bad at night on that one radio.

Shining a flashlight on the light sensors puts the display at full brightness and it works good, until it dims again. It seems a pretty common problem for these radios. Otherwise, this old thing has given great service.

If it were in an experimental, I'd replace the display in a jiffy :-0

Back