What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing Stick Wires

lr172

Well Known Member
How are you guys running the wire loom for your sticks? It would seem that I could come out the bottom if I take care to tie off the loom to the stick, but I have not put on the heim's yet to see exactly how much clearance I have.

Have others drilled a hole for the loom exit?

Larry

I have drilled a hole, facing the pilot on the vertical part of the stick so I can pull the wire bundle out and thread it up through the grip. It eliminates the need to cover and tie the wire to the stick. i have tied the bottom wires to the stick and nothing touches the control rods.

I did the easy way - Infinity Grip wire routed along the back of the stick inside a piece of tygon tubing. Unless you are doing just a single switch or two the inside the stick option gets hard.

My data point is no one has ever noticed the wire run.

Carl

Larry, if you search a little you'll find a lot of previous discussion about drilling holes in a stick, and the concern for stress concentration. Simple answer is to fire up a TIG and weld a diamond patch around the hole.

Stick Wires

There's plenty of clearance to route the wires out the bottom of the stick on the -10 without drilling a hole. The challenge is the tight turn at the welded junction at the top of the stick. The wire bundle on the Tosten grips is delivered loose, so it's easy to thread through the welded junction at the top of the stick and protect it with some sheath and heat shrink. The Infinity grips have a fat wire bundle that won't make that turn at the top of the stick without stripping it down to the bare wires.

Last edited:
There's plenty of clearance to route the wires out the bottom of the stick on the -10 without drilling a hole. The challenge is the tight turn at the welded junction at the top of the stick. The wire bundle on the Tosten grips is delivered loose, so it's easy to thread through the welded junction at the top of the stick and protect it with some sheath and heat shrink. The Infinity grips have a fat wire bundle that won't make that turn at the top of the stick without stripping it down to the bare wires.

Thanks Jim. I will follow that approach. I plan tosten grips, so should be easy. I suspect some weed wacker line might make a decent "fish line."

Taped mine to the outside and put a leather cover over the stick. Came with the package from Flightline Interiors.

Just note that any solution that runs the wires on the outside of the stick will keep you from using the best control lock around, the AntiSplat.

Just note that any solution that runs the wires on the outside of the stick will keep you from using the best control lock around, the AntiSplat.

I beg to differ Bruce! ;-) I have the wires on the outside (rear) of my sticks and use the anti-splat control lock. The way the block gets attached to the stick isn't a problem if you just run the wires around the block. I'll have to get a pic of it.

-Marc

Back