What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Redundancies

wawrzynskivp

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

I am new to this and trying to understand how to eliminate redundancies in data (not spend more than makes sense).

I have a full AFS panel set and an Avidyne IFD540. Both need data, but do both need all the data sets available. I doubt I will have my attention on my IFD during an approach but rather on one of the AFS screens as they are much larger. I understand that so long as my switching is correct I will see all position and pointing information from the IFD displayed on the AFS. All obstacle/elevation/chart presentation will be from AFS and as such not legal as primary for IFR flight. That's okay with me, it's position and steering that I am navigating by.

So, Jeppesen offers Nav data only, for half the price it seems many folks are paying for Nav/Obst/elev. ($500 vs $1,000) I will likely only ever see the Jeppesen charts when inputting a flight plan on the IFD, and I imagine I will never see obstacles or elevation information on that device. Do any of you guys see a good reason to buy the redundant obstacle and elevation data from Jeppesen? My read of the below FAA guidelines don't require the extras:

AIM 1-1-19b3(b) Database Currency (1) In many receivers, an up-datable database is used for navigation fixes, airports and instrument procedures. These databases must be maintained to the current update for IFR operations, but no such requirement exists for VFR use. (2) However,...

AIM 1-1-19f1(b) Equipment and Database Requirements - For IFR Operations "All approach procedures to be flown must be retrievable from the current airborne navigation database..."

AC 90-100, U.S. TERMINAL AND EN ROUTE AREA NAVIGATION (RNAV) OPERATIONS, paragraph 8a(3): The onboard navigation data must be current and appropriate for the region of intended operation and must include the navigation aids, waypoints, and relevant coded terminal airspace procedures for the departure, arrival, and alternate airfields.

I assume AFS provides free NAV/Terrain/Obstacle updates every 28 days like Dynon does for the SkyView system. If so, then the only thing to get for the IFD540 is the NAV data subscription if you are flying IFR. For the GTN-650 this is $299 per year from Garmin. Perhaps Avidyne is similarly priced.

Carl

Back