What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 CAN BUS question

noelf

Well Known Member
I will be installing two G5 (one as the AI, the other as a DG) units plus a GMU 11 Magnetometer. The GMU 11 will be installed in the wingtip.

The question is with the wiring that runs between the AI and the GMU 11. Can the power and ground connections be contained within the same shielded cable as the two CAN BUS wires?

Or do the power/ ground wires get run separately and the two shielded CAN BUS wires run separately?

easiest thing is to follow the manual schematics. I ran a shielded twisted 2 wire pair for the can bus then PIC Coax for the wire. A little non standard but I had the wire sitting around. I wouldn't run a 4 wire shielded line for the -11. No sense to mess with what works

I will be installing two G5 (one as the AI, the other as a DG) units plus a GMU 11 Magnetometer. The GMU 11 will be installed in the wingtip.

The question is with the wiring that runs between the AI and the GMU 11. Can the power and ground connections be contained within the same shielded cable as the two CAN BUS wires?

Or do the power/ ground wires get run separately and the two shielded CAN BUS wires run separately?

Hello Noel,

A 4 wire shielded cable does not provide the dedicated shielded, twisted pair cabling (normally 22 AWG) needed by the high speed CAN bus.

The power and ground wires should be run separately as you suggest.

Thanks,
Steve

Back