What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TT-31 TIS-A Question

RobinHou

Well Known Member
I am installing a TT-31 for my 2020 ADS-B out so here is where I post. Please move it if it is more suitable in other avionic subforums.

Anyhow, I wired everything up and powered it on last night - no smoke ;-)

I played with setup on both TT-31 and 430W, and was able to confirm TT-31 is getting GPS position from Garmin and 430W is getting serial altitude from TT-31. But TIS-A traffic did not work. Here is how I wired them together:

TT-31 serial #2 IN to 430W serial #2 OUT for GPS position;
TT-31 serial #2 OUT to 430W serial #2 IN for serial altitude; and
TT-31 ARINC OUT A&B to 430W ARINC #1 IN A&B for TIS-A traffic.

Garmin showed error message for not having traffic information on its ARINC 429 port. On TT-31, I selected "GRMN Remote+TIS" and on 430W I had GTX 330 with high speed. There were many combinations, so I did not try other setting thinking the installation manual may provide more guidance. However, both TT-31 and 430W manuals are not very helpful.

Has anyone gotten TIS-A on 430W with TT-31? If so, can you share what setting do you use on TT-31 & 430W?

Thanks in advance,

Robin Hou

I don’t have a TT31 so you need to run this by an expert. I think you need one TT31 input accepting ‘ADS-B+’ data from the 430W. I think you need both altitude and airspeed data into the TT31 from, for example, an efis outputing that data in ‘Shadin G or Z’ format (you need the airspeed data so the TT31 will auto switch from air to ground and vice versa). Finally, it’s my understanding that the software for traffic into the 430W is Garmin-propriatary, so this likely won’t work (but will display on an efis if it accepts the trig format data).
If you don’t have an efis or Shadin G or Z format, you can buy an airspeed switch from Trig and wire it to the TT31, then just get pressure altitude data to the Trig.

Last edited:
Thank you

Bob, your information was very helpful. I also updated both my Garmin and Trig to the latest software version and now my Garmin displays TIS-A traffic from Trig just fine. Thank you.

Back