What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bulkhead Recess F-601K-1fitment

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Has anyone had issues with the fitment of the Bulkhead Recess F-601K-1.

When I cleco mine onto the bulkhead, the top most #30 holes each side (and the one lower down #40 holes) do not want to align. The recess width seems to be 1/8" narrow overall. Is it possible that maybe Van's didn't get the bend 100% perfect on this one?

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

If I force the cleco's then the corners really "dog ear" up and there is considerable stress on those corners.

IMG_0292.jpg

I don't recall any issues with the fitment on my firewall recess during installation a couple years ago.

Those holes aren't that far off. I suspect they'll be fine as you drill them up to size. Some opt for monel rivets here too.

It wouldn't be too surprising. IIRC, mine was a little weird when trying to get all the various 'flaps' to end up in the right places. But the firewall is non-structural; especially that recess. If I couldn't get all the holes to line up perfectly by tweaking the bends, I'd just 'match drill' the recess ear to match the existing hole in the firewall/aluminum angle (which *is* structural) with everything lying flat.

But that's just me; call Van's if you can't get comfortable with it.

Charlie

So sometimes a person just has to laugh at themselves. A good sleep and a fresh perspective is all that was needed. Can you spot what I did wrong? The key word being firewall "recess", not firewall "protrusion" :rolleyes:

I found that this recess was the one part of the firewall that wasn't worth fussing over much before I was ready for firewall forward and the top front skin. There are a bunch of the rivet holes that will get drilled open for a bolt (might be screws too) and extra holes for platenuts. There may be some penetrations through the recess for control cables for your installation (not in the plans, but commonly done). Also, the access through that hole is very useful for as long as you can keep it open. It makes it much easier to mount items to the middle area of the front of the firewall.

Of course you will need to rivet that in place before hanging your engine and you can't completely seal it up until you've got your cables through. It gets a little tight.

One thing I did was fashion an insert for that recess that I used for a pivot for my fuselage rotisserie. That worked quite well up until the time that I was done with having to rotate the fuselage.

Awesome, excellent advice Flying Canuck. I didn't think to read that far ahead to see how the firewall penetrations in that particular area are going to play out.
I'll rest easy on this one.

So sometimes a person just has to laugh at themselves. A good sleep and a fresh perspective is all that was needed. Can you spot what I did wrong? The key word being firewall "recess", not firewall "protrusion" :rolleyes:

Now there are at least two members of that club...:eek:
FP07042013A0004S.jpg

I seem to remember I had to fight with it regardless of orientation.

Back