What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-905 nose rib riveting

echozulu

Well Known Member
I ran into issues riveting this section and I did a search on VAF and builder websites but I didn't see anyone else specifically address this section so I'm assuming this may be a unique problem due to my circumstances, but I want to document what I did in case anyone in the future runs into this issue.

Problem: It's a PITA to rivet the 40 rivets between the middle HS-905 nose ribs and the skins. Lots of rivets got drilled out and holes were enlarged on the middle nose ribs.

Possible contributing factors:
1. I'm short. With an EAA-1000 table and the cradle, I need to stand on the tip of my toes AND tip the horizontal stabilizer to even reach some of the holes at the bottom.
2. I used a shortcut and used nylon straps instead of the plywood that Vans calls out. While this saves a bit of time for those of us that don't have wood working tools handy, it also means that the HS is free to move about in its cradle.
3. I could not scrounge up any helpers. Being young, single, and living in a rural area that you recently moved to will do that to you.
4. I only have two hands and could not locate more, see 3.

Some more explanation:

My assumption at this point is that the biggest factor is the nylon straps. I've seen other builders use this as it allows you to maneuver the HS around while still in it's cradle so you can get to stuff, but when you are riveting the nose ribs in essence you need one hand to hold the rivet gun, another hand to hold the bucking bar and one more to hold the HS in place. Allowing it to slip towards you means the rivet slips out. It may potentially not be an issue if you are tall enough so that your hand can get all the way to the leading edge of the HS without tipping the horizontal stabilizer towards you. It will also potentially not be an issue if you followed the plans and built rigid cradles. All of this would be downright easy if you have another person helping you.

With all that said....solutions:
1. Tape. This should really be a given at this point but I didn't realize how much help this would be until rib #2. Tape the rivets, this frees up a hand and prevents it from slipping out. Unfortunately tape doesn't help shortness, but after I taped the rivets, I only had to use solution #2 maybe 3 or 4 times.

2. Blind rivets. I talked to Vans Support to see if I'm just missing something huge, and they basically said everything I did was correct, however if I wanted to substitute blind rivets, MK-319-BS blind rivets are acceptable. I swapped in one of these if any of the rivets were particularly annoying. Mostly the first ones on the leading edge. The downside per Van's is they are not as pretty and they are a bit heavier.

3. Six pack of beer. Apparently this can summon extra hands. I did not have beer handy, which may be the reason for my predicament.

Link to image because it's not displaying correctly here: https://i.imgur.com/3RtH9NQ.jpg

A quick photo showing my setup. You can see how the nylon straps allow a substantial amount of movement to either side.

Last edited:
I think you summed it up pretty good. While I could, in theory, reach to rivet those I ended up getting assistance as I really had 0 effective control of the rivet gun when streched out that far.
Beer is an excellent motivator, just make sure consumption happens AFTER you work on the airplane!

Rivet Gun Air Pressure

Took a quick look at your web site. Others can chime in here to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that most people use 30..35 psi for bucking rivets.

Good luck and have fun!
Mike

Took a quick look at your web site. Others can chime in here to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that most people use 30..35 psi for bucking rivets.

Good luck and have fun!
Mike

I really should be updating my website more....but it hasn't been touched since a few months ago.

I use around 40~60 psi for all common rivets on a 3x gun. Anything lower and I tend to have pretty bad results with my rivets, 40~60 psi seems to do the trick, 1~2 seconds per rivet and I get great results. This may not be the actual pressure my gun is seeing though. I adjust it at the compressor level, and the gauge there isn't the most sophisticated.

Back