What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stadium TFRs

Alan Carroll

Well Known Member
Has anyone have a good way to locate active stadium TFRs when doing their cross-country planning?

They are not included in the FAA TFR website, or in the published Notices to Airmen (except in the few cases where special procedures have been established), or in third-partly electronic listings (such as the Garmin 396/496/696 or Weathermeister). Also, the stadiums for the most part seem not to be printed on charts.

AOPA does a list of locations (in lat-lon coordinates) and provide links to where to find the schedules (takes you to the NFL etc websites). This info is helpful, but a very laborious solution to the problem.

This is a major problem with the entire TFR thing. Should an event last longer than the published TFR, the TFR remains in place until the event is over. Also, you can?t get the TFR info during a standard briefing. There was a good article on this problem in AOPA some years back and the answer was you are SOL when it comes to these TFR?s. BTW, they also count for high school football games and almost anything that is an outdoor paid event, as I understand it.

Let us know how your search turns out.

If you use weathermeister.com, they are shown on your flight breif.
We made it back home Allen, no cylinder issues. Had a push the whole way.

It's really fun in Phoenix with baseball cactus league (MLB spring training) going on. They are everywhere and at lots of different times.

If you use weathermeister.com, they are shown on your flight breif.
We made it back home Allen, no cylinder issues. Had a push the whole way.

Gary - glad you made it home with no more problems.

I actually haven't seen the stadium TFRs shown on the Weathermeister briefing. In Madison for example we frequently have a TFR in effect for the UW football games, but it doesn't show up on Weathermeister or on my 396. I do see other TFRs (VIP, etc).

I may be showing my ignorance here, but here goes...

Aren't stadium TFRs usually limited to 2500 agl? Additionally, I think you can fly through a stadium TFR zone if you're on a flight plan or under direct control of a controlling authority (such as local control tower or other ATC).

So, unless you're just buzzing the local stadium, most of the time you would be flying too high (if cross country) or under control of ATC (if flying in an airport environment with control tower near stadium).

I may be too 'local' with my thought process here. I'm thinking about SeaHawk football Stadium and Mariner's baseball stadium and Univ of Wash stadium. Although they all get the 'Stadium TFR', I wouldn't usually consider flying low over any of the stadiums at any time except when flying into Boeing Field KBFI. But then I would be under the control of ATC and following their instructions/vectors.

Aren't stadium TFRs usually limited to 2500 agl? Additionally, I think you can fly through a stadium TFR zone if you're on a flight plan or under direct control of a controlling authority (such as local control tower or other ATC).

So, unless you're just buzzing the local stadium, most of the time you would be flying too high (if cross country) or under control of ATC (if flying in an airport environment with control tower near stadium)...
Look up 34G and see how close it is to the Michigan International Raceway.

It would be very easy for someone to plane a VFR flight to that airport (or to JQF) when a race is going on. Landing at that airport will bust a TFR during a race. The bad part is when you look at the sectional, you can see the oval south of the airport but that could be someone's horse track. Only if you know the area would you have a clue it is a major race track.

Major sporting events

Only major sporting events are covered by the stadium TFRs. From the FAA website:

Stadiums
FDC NOTAM 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during major league baseball, National Football League, NCAA, and motor speedway events. The so-called ?stadium TFR? prohibits aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is a major league baseball game, NFL game, NCAA division one football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes.

I've never fully understood the purpose of these TFRs in the first place. Law-abiding pilots are inconvenienced and unnecessarily put at risk of an enforcement action, while any terrorist or general yoyo intent on doing harm would be in the TFR and doing said harm before any LE or military action could even get started to prevent it.

A waste of time, money, and resources for essentiallly zero gain, and certainly no increase in "security".

Add in the virtually permanent "T"FR over places like Disneyland, and what's the point?

I've never fully understood the purpose of these TFRs in the first place.

I believe the underlying practical purpose is to stop close-in banner towing ops from advertising to stadium-goers without having to pay to the respective sports authority. (And discourage what would cause any disruption-by-air to the event without threat of more serious legal action.) It's obvious they won't help with anything unexpected or an "attack" but it does control "routine issues" and annoyances to the benefit of the event authority.

I just avoid flying below 3K' over a stadium as a general rule...except for some where its tricky, like in metro areas under a B shelf, where it pays to check...or be on flight following. Anyway, here is the whole thing of the current version (sensible formatting and capitalization applied by me...):

FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 1 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS.

Effective immediately until further notice. This notice replaces FDC NOTAM 3/1862 due to the waiver website change and language clarification. This notice modifies flight restrictions previously issued in FDC NOTAM 3/1862 to comply with statutory mandates detailed in section 352 of public law 108-7 and as amended by section 521 of public law 108-199. Pursuant to 49 USC 40103(b), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) classifies the airspace defined in this NOTAM as 'National Defense Airspace'. Any person who knowingly or willfully violates the rules concerning operations in this airspace may be subject to certain criminal penalties under 49 USC 46307. Pilots who do not adhere to the following procedures may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by law enforcement/security personnel. Pursuant to 14 CFE section 99.7, special security instructions, commencing one hour before the scheduled time of the event until one hour after the end of the event. All aircraft and parachute operations are prohibited within a 3 NMR up to and including 3000 ft AGL of any stadium having a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people where either a regular or post season Major League Baseball, National Football League, or NCAA Division One football game is occurring. This NOTAM also applies to NASCAR Sprint Cup, Indy Car,
END PART 1 of 2

FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 2 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS.

Effective and Champ Series Races excluding qualifying and pre-race events. Flights conducted for operational purposes of any event, stadium or venue and broadcast coverage for the broadcast rights holder are authorized with an approved waiver. The restrictions do not apply to those aircraft authorized by and in contact with ATC for operational or safety of flight purposes, Department of Defense, Law Enforcement, and Air Ambulance flight operations. All previously issued waivers to FDC NOTAM 3/1862 remain valid until the specified end date but not to exceed 90 days following the effective date of this NOTAM. Information about waiver applications and TSA security authorizations can be found at http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/tsnm/general_aviation/airspace_waivers.shtm (case sensitive use lower case only) or by calling TSA at 571-227-2071. Individuals may submit a request for a FAA waiver at https://waiver.c3.faa.gov
END 2 OF 2

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_5151.html

Last edited:
ditto to Bill R.

The two stadiums in downtown Detroit are quite close to the river that divides Michigan from Ontario, Canada. If you are coming from the south, VFR, you are going to be there because you will likely be avoiding the DTW class B airspace and Canadian airspace. Often, the only practical way to know about those TFR's is to listen to the ATIS for KDET.

Being VFR and under the control of "City Tower" does not let you fly into those TFR's. IFR perhaps, but not VFR. It is even a problem on takeoff from runway 25 or a right turn from 15 or a left turn from 33 if you are Ohio-bound.

I actually haven't seen the stadium TFRs shown on the Weathermeister briefing.[/QUOTE said:
If you zoom in closer they show up.

we went right over two yesterday in Toledo. they were both capped at 3000 agl. At 5500ft, approach didnt even worry about them with us.

Last edited:
If you zoom in closer they show up.

Gary,

OK, now I'm really puzzled. I just tried planning a flight from KDFW to 52F on Weathermeister, departing tonight. So far as I know game 5 of the World Series is being played nearby in Arlington TX, but nothing shows up on Weathermeister (or the FAA TFR list). Both do show the VIP TFR in north Dallas (former president?). Am I missing something?

Generally I have no problem staying away from these TFRs, but I'm pretty sure I can't name every NCAA Division I football team from memory. It would be nice if the applicable stadiums/speedways were at least published on the charts.

I did not find any tfr's for the ball game, just the one you mentioned. Maybe there isn't a tfr for it? A quick call to the FSS should take care of the answer and approach can alert you as well.
Sometimes, things are just screwed up !!

My favorite is avnWX.com located at: http://maps.avnwx.com/

You can tweak the amount of weather, notams, images by going through the menu near the top left. It's FREE and shows all TFR's, including stadium TFR's up to a week in advance

avnWX.com

My favorite is avnWX.com located at: http://maps.avnwx.com/

You can tweak the amount of weather, notams, images by going through the menu near the top left. It's FREE and shows all TFR's, including stadium TFR's up to a week in advance

Looks like this one's the winner; it does show the World Series TFR.

I'm not seeing seeing the World Series TFR on Runwayfinder, although it does show the Dallas VIP TFR.

Looks like this one's the winner; it does show the World Series TFR.

I'm not seeing seeing the World Series TFR on Runwayfinder, although it does show the Dallas VIP TFR.

FYI, by popular request: Weathermeister now depicts stadium TFRs on the map. It doesn't integrate any event schedules at the moment, but that will come over time.

VAF Special Free Trial: http://www.weathermeister.com/vaf

Contact support at weathermeister dot com if you have any questions or hit any snags.

Who was that masked man?! :)

Good to see that you're still improving my favorite weather site Dan!

TFR and ATC

Read over these posts and am not clear on TFR clearance via ATC while approaching a field VFR. Have flown over a Mariners game while landing at Boeing field and was never called on it. Was this an illegal pattern?
Thanks.

Hate it!

FYI, by popular request: Weathermeister now depicts stadium TFRs on the map. It doesn't integrate any event schedules at the moment, but that will come over time.

Not by my request. I spent maybe 15 minutes today trying to figure out why I had about 4 TFRs along my commute home, including the airport where my plane was tied down. I knew it was yellow but I didn't want to launch until I understood what was going on. The map showed TFRs but the FAA link showed neither Sectionals nor any dates for the TFRs. Weathermeister's list of TFRs didn't mention them, either. NOTAMs? Nope, not there, either. I love Weathermeister because it is very intuitive and I can brief very quickly....not today.

My vote is to remove the stadium TFRs except when they are actually important (like, maybe, will be in effect in the next, say, five days). I still love Weathermeister, but this idea really clutters up my commute route!

No worries...we'll be adding a preference so you'll be able to turn them off. Thanks for the feedback!

(BTW, feel free to post your feedback on our Facebook wall for all to discuss in context: http://on.fb.me/2hUBZI )

VAF Special Free Trial: http://www.weathermeister.com/vaf

Contact support at weathermeister dot com if you have any questions or hit any snags.

Dan - Wow, I'm really impressed by your responsiveness! This is fantastic. Having the schedules integrated will be nice but just having the locations shown is a huge step forward.

The map showed TFRs but the FAA link showed neither Sectionals nor any dates for the TFRs..

Therein lies the problem - the locations of the stadium TFRs do not appear on the FAA site even when they are active, and they don't get specific NOTAMs. They're also not shown in the Garmin x96. The stadiums for the most part also do not appear on charts.

I got interested in this subject after recently flying over a stadium I didn't know was there, at a school I didn't even know was NCAA Division I. There were people in the seats but fortunately for me it wasn't a football game, otherwise I would have been in violation.

I agree that ideally the TFR depiction ideally should only be turned on when active, but just having them depicted in yellow is a big help.

Thanks, Dan.

No worries...we'll be adding a preference so you'll be able to turn them off. Thanks for the feedback!

Great customer service! I look forward to getting them turned off (at least, when not active).

So, there's five Division 1 schools or major athletic venues along my commute home. Goodness. "If everyone's special, nobody's special." I've been blissfully ignorant for the last 2.5 years and no one has busted me. Lucky? Or, are they actually meaningless?

Great customer service! I look forward to getting them turned off (at least, when not active).

So, there's five Division 1 schools or major athletic venues along my commute home. Goodness. "If everyone's special, nobody's special." I've been blissfully ignorant for the last 2.5 years and no one has busted me. Lucky? Or, are they actually meaningless?

The new preference went live yesterday...we just haven't put out the announcement yet since there are other features that will be going live shortly.

I hear ya about the blissful ignorance thing. There will be even more stadiums in our database very soon...they're everywhere!

I've wondered the same thing, but would prefer not to be the one to find out.

Back