What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Belt Reliability - Alternator/Generator/Accessory

On your current airplane, how reliable is/was your belt?

• I have never had a belt failure.

Votes: 97 99.0%
  • I have had one belt failure.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I have had more than one belt failure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I exclusively use gear driven alternators/generators/accessories

• I do not have an alternator/generator/accessory requiring a belt

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chkaharyer99

Well Known Member
Friend
This non-scientific poll is to collect information regarding the reliability of belts commonly used to drive alternators, generators and other essential or non-essential engine driven accessories in aircraft.

Causes of belt failure included but are not limited to, complete breaks, burns, fractures, cuts, damage, delaminations, severe wear beyond limits, derailed belts, severe misalignment's, incorrect adjustments, other...

A belt failure will be defined as condition resulting in the belts inability to perform reliably as designed or expected. Any condition where the belts performance is diminished beyond what is exceptable for continued safe flight operations.

I just ran my calculator Charlie and I was amazed learning that the stock belt on my alternator made nearly half a billion loops since 2011. Still no cracks or cuts. :D

I bought my plane with what I will term a knick in the alternator belt, not so much a cut. Changed it at the next condition inspection with one from NAPA (for ease of sourcing), went through the 'put an extra one on pulled out of the way' discussion, decided not critical enough for my flying to do so. 450 hours later no issues.

As of Saturday, November 25th, 2017 at approximately 1039 hours PST, the stats were:

53 votes for - I have never had a belt failure.

1 vote for - I have had one belt failure.

Thanks for voting.

Well, this has probably jinxed it now...500 hours, no failure.

Now that I've said that and voted, I expect it to fail on the next flight LOL!

I wonder if there aren't belt failures because they are being proactively replaced?
Perhaps you should add a couple of voting "lines" : how many hours on the belt, and has it ever been replaced?

Of course, belt technology reliability sure has come a long ways. I can't remember the last time one failed in my car. Yet, I do remember in the 70's always carrying a spare belt, as they did seem to break more often back then. I remember my Gremlin (yes, a Gremlin) throwing a belt in the middle of Texas one afternoon on the way home to Cleveland, Ohio from Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, Az. That belt cost me $25 and I put it on myself! That was a lot of money back then!

Vic

I wonder if there aren't belt failures because they are being proactively replaced?
Perhaps you should add a couple of voting "lines" : how many hours on the belt, and has it ever been replaced?

No belt failures but replaced twice in 800 hours. Once when I had to replace a cracked alternator bracket and replaced it just because I had it all apart. Cheap insurance. Second time was to put on shorter belt to get more clearance between the alternator and cowl.

Belt

Vic,

We paid $125 for a tire in mid-Texas in 1978 on a trip home from our air base in California . Must have been the same guy. I just remember that we really had no other option and he knew it.

Vic,

We paid $125 for a tire in mid-Texas in 1978 on a trip home from our air base in California . Must have been the same guy. I just remember that we really had no other option and he knew it.

Too funny. but I would bet you are right! Just a young kid then at the mercy of him. Can you imagine us doing that to someone today? Thankfully, our generation has changed and we help people get on their way reasonably, and sometimes for nothing at all.

It feels much better, too. :)

Vic

Back