What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New England RV Club?

RVBill

I'm New Here
Hello Everyone -

I'm writing today to see what type of interest the New England community could have for a club specifically for the building and operating of an RV (-10/-14/-?) club.

Considering the cost and time for building a kit plane, and the cost of operating any plane, a club seems like a very practical approach to making such a thing realizable for a group.

Does, or has such a group existed? Does this even make sense for a home-build project?

I've never participated in a home-bulid project but am a firm believer that a group can accomplish far more than an individual. I'm presently based out of the Lawrence MA airport (KLWM), and am very interested in the your feedback!

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

I know of an RV-6A that was build by a small group of members from EAA 166 in Hartford CT. Its based at HFD, was funded and built by the group, and is shared and maintained by the group.

I can get you in touch with one of the members if you want more details.

Aaron

Welcome Bill! You may find interesting to check this thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=89853 lot of wisdom there.

Read this thread with caution - it was posted by someone who wanted to BUY an RV for use by a club. If you intend for the club members to BUILD the RV then the arguments against an RV in a club, that were made in that thread, may not hold true for you.

The thread also seemed to die before we learned why folks who live in Chile figured out how to make an RV9A work in a club despite all the folks here in the good ole US of A who told us it's not a smart idea. :p

Bill, I know a guy in Hingham building an RV-10 who could use an infusion of enthusiasm, interest and assistance of you are interested in chatting with him.

Let me know. I can hook you up with him.

:) CJ

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I read through the article and agree that it may not be relevant for what I'm looking for.

Dicel as you guessed at, I am equally interested in building an RV as I am in owning one. I think the process of building a machine would be incredibly rewarding, and I'm hoping a club could share in that experience.

But since acrobatics aren't really in my interest, I'm more looking to join in making one of RV's cruisers like the -10, or -14.

So John, yes I would be interested in chatting with your friend in Hingham. To be honest he may be a bit out of my way (plus I'd be curious to know if he's building it at his home or at an airfield - the latter being preferred as I could fly down in one of my current club's ac as a great excuse to get some XC time in!). But a conversation would be welcome.

Also AaronG, yes please do provide a contact at the HFD club. I'd like to pick their brain to see how well the club experience worked and how they were able to set themselves up.

I have to imagine that there are people here that are like me in that they DO have both time and money resources, but maybe not quite enough for an RV.

Thanks again, (and thanks for such a warm first welcome!)

Bill

Hi Bill,

Perhaps we should chat at some point. I want to get a project started (or possibly purchase a flying RV), and I've been considering doing it as part of a small group. I've been a member of a couple of different flying clubs, and each has worked out very well. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss.

~Scott

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I read through the article and agree that it may not be relevant for what I'm looking for.

Dicel as you guessed at, I am equally interested in building an RV as I am in owning one. I think the process of building a machine would be incredibly rewarding, and I'm hoping a club could share in that experience.

But since acrobatics aren't really in my interest, I'm more looking to join in making one of RV's cruisers like the -10, or -14.

So John, yes I would be interested in chatting with your friend in Hingham. To be honest he may be a bit out of my way (plus I'd be curious to know if he's building it at his home or at an airfield - the latter being preferred as I could fly down in one of my current club's ac as a great excuse to get some XC time in!). But a conversation would be welcome.

Also AaronG, yes please do provide a contact at the HFD club. I'd like to pick their brain to see how well the club experience worked and how they were able to set themselves up.

I have to imagine that there are people here that are like me in that they DO have both time and money resources, but maybe not quite enough for an RV.

Thanks again, (and thanks for such a warm first welcome!)

Bill

Interested

I would be interested in sharing an RV-10 in a club environment. The -10 is one sweet family plane. I would prefer that it be built already since I already have a project.

I will be moving back to the area within the next few months, so if this goes anywhere, please keep me in mind.

Scott - PM Sent

And Aparchment, would you want to be on the ground floor of the decision making processes (paint, avionics, etc etc) or would you rather wait to weigh in on the completed project?

Considering the average cost of building a fine RV-10 being in the 130-175k range (I grabbed those numbers from the brief search I've done on the web. They may be old/wrong - http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/why/index.html), I would imagine our club not minding the submitting of another resource :) )

Back