What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Integrated RV-14 Introduction Thread

Huh? :confused:

I see an RV-8 at the top, then four smaller photos across, namely, RV-3, RV-7A, RV-8A and RV-10.

That burgundy, or dark red, airplane in a steep bank is an RV-8 and the photo was made a long time ago over the coast of either Washington or Oregon.

Which photo are you talking about?

The big picture... it must just be the camera angle, but the wings look quite long. Maybe it's my paranoia. Makes no sense to have a tandem non-aerobatic a/c.

The big picture... it must just be the camera angle, but the wings look quite long. Maybe it's my paranoia. Makes no sense to have a tandem non-aerobatic a/c.

Vern,
That's Paul Schattauer's 8. It is a standard build 8, so it's just the camera angle that's messing with you.

Best,

Last edited:
Who wants to bet Van's just registered a sudden influx of traffic to the web site from all of us checking the home page?

:D

Yeah, the picture was last modified January of '09. I don't think they would keep anything under wraps for that long.

Lane Wallace mentioned a new design hidden
away in the prototype shop in her June-2012
Sport Aviation article on Van and his company.
No more information mentioned.
The June issue is on-line now at the EAA web site.
Tom

Intermediate Acro

SOME THOUGHT FROM THE UGLY CORNER OF LOWER ALABAMA (UCLA)

After a few beers this evening the following became clear:

Intermediate Acro Trainer
+8 / -6 Spin/Snap Roll approved
Tandem two place, uses modified 8 fuselage, fits real people
Symetric airfoil
Tapered planform wing
Square wingtips with fence
Full span control surfaces with spades for boost
Droop for flaps, as the RV-12
Externally braced tail surfaces
Large rudder
Usual Lycoming options
Ballistic whole aircraft parachute?

Just saying, Dave

Last edited:
Oh Yeah, OSH is coming, let the rumor mill start back up. Let me be the first to say:

"I heard through my ex-roommate's Cousin's brother-in-law that he overheard a guy in the airport diner talking about Vans introducing the RV-14 at OSH 2012 this year!"

"I heard through my ex-roommate's Cousin's brother-in-law that he overheard a guy in the airport diner talking about Vans introducing the RV-14 at OSH 2012 this year!"

I heard through the same source. It MUST be true!

When I was in the Air Force, we were told, "If you haven't hear a rumor by 10 am, start one."

The whole time I was in there, I never got to start one.

My guess...

My guess is the RV-14 is going to be a tandem seating LSA, with lots of things coming from the RV-12 such as all pre-punched, pop-rivet construction, removable wings, stabilator on the tail, etc, with a taildragger option (RV-14) and tricycle option (RV-14A) and maybe engine options other than Rotax.

How did I miss all this speculation? Ok, you guys have wondered long enough; let me pull back the curtain for you. The RV-14 is a high-altitude delivery vehicle. The reason it won't be announced until the RV-13 is ready is because the RV-13 is the orbiter it is designed to deliver. Imagine the White Knight and Space Ship One designed for Total Performance.

The RV-12 Electrical System AutoCAD drawing download from Van's site has some interesting layers, no content and turned off:

ADS-B NAVWORX ADS600-B WH-00019 WH-00014 RV-14
AUTOPILOT DYNON SV-32 WH-00024 RV-14
AUTOPILOT TRU TRAK AUTO TRIM WH-00065 RV-14
EFIS DYNON SV-D1000 WH-00021 RV-14
ELT ACK E-04 RV-14
FLAP POSITION SENSOR KIT RAY ALLEN EX MSTS POS-12 RV-14
FWALL FWD LYCOMING IO-390 WH-00043 RV-14
GPS DYNON SV-GPS-250 WH-00064 RV-14
IGNITION LYCOMING ELEC IGN LEFT AND RIGHT RV-14
IGNITION LYCOMING MAG LEFT MAG RIGHT RV-14
IGNITION LYCOMING MAG LEFT PMAG RIGHT RV-14
IGNITION PMAG LEFT PMAG RIGHT RV-14
LIGHT INTERIOR LC LED STRIP RED RV-14
LIGHT LANDING AEROLED RV-14
etc.

It appears the 14 will be a serious well equiped airplane with factory plug & play avionics.

Last edited:

Well, that certainly blows the tandem LSA speculation clean out of the water.

How 'bout an even wilder guess then.... with a powerful IO-390 engine, maybe a smaller 4-place 2+2 sport plane style that's cheaper to build than the RV-10 and can seat two in comfort like an RV-7 but with full baggage and full fuel for 2 but still be able to squeeze in two back-seater pax with light fuel and no baggage in a pinch.

Well, that certainly blows the tandem LSA speculation clean out of the water.

How 'bout an even wilder guess then.... with a powerful IO-390 engine, maybe a smaller 4-place 2+2 sport plane style that's cheaper to build than the RV-10 and can seat two in comfort like an RV-7 but with full baggage and full fuel for 2 but still be able to squeeze in two back-seater pax with light fuel and no baggage in a pinch.

That, or a very serious aerobat was my first thought - but that would need and AEIO engine, no reference to that (though this part number is only a FWF kit).

PMAGS now a factory option?

The RV-12 Electrical System AutoCAD drawing download from Van's site has some interesting layers, no content and turned off:

ADS-B NAVWORX ADS600-B WH-00019 WH-00014 RV-14
AUTOPILOT DYNON SV-32 WH-00024 RV-14
AUTOPILOT TRU TRAK AUTO TRIM WH-00065 RV-14
EFIS DYNON SV-D1000 WH-00021 RV-14
ELT ACK E-04 RV-14
FLAP POSITION SENSOR KIT RAY ALLEN EX MSTS POS-12 RV-14

It appears the 14 will be a serious well equiped airplane with factory plug & play avionics.

Possibly a small version of the jack of all trades. (Cessna 180)

Can't wait

I have been waiting to start a RV10 since the first kit was produced. If half these rumors are true, I might have to reconsider. Wouldn't it be great if this was a modern version of the Wittman tailwind?

Possibly a small version of the jack of all trades. (Cessna 180)

eek5hyper.gif

Inept

I downloaded those files, opened them in the online viewer using the Vans posted PDF instructions, and can't seem to find the specified RV-14 info...are there tricks, or am I...see title :confused:

I already tried those ACAD drawings and the layers had nothing with RV-14 included. All represented layers of the RV-12. I looked in the electrical drawings since that is what was referenced. The layers may have been removed since Tony saw them, but they are not shown on the 3 electrical dwg zip files. I have ACAD 12 I use everyday and it is compatable with all versions since release 12.

Layers deleted

Rockwood,

I just checked the current AutoCAD file on the website and yes, the layers have been cleaned up. No RV-14 layers are present.

Tony

If the IO-390 is correct, a `total performance' high wing bush plane could be a good bet, as other have also suggested. It's about the only obvious gap left in Van's range that wouldn't dilute market share of the existing kits. Ken Kreuger makes some interesting comments in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb_FB--gSAU

Interesting...

Were those comments by Ken K. a peek into the future that we didn't pay attention to? I've never give serious thought to Van's doing a high wing plane... much like I never thought Cessna would have a low wing single in their showrooms. Maybe a high-wing is possible...

Looking back many years on my posts, I opined that there ARE a couple holes in the Van's lineup. Personally I have argued that there needs to be a lower cost alternative to the RV-10 that is capable of carrying more than 2. I called it a Van's Tiger. I still feel that this O-360 (IO-390?!) powered craft would compliment their lineup and be a good seller.

However, as my life has evolved, I see myself more involved in local/sport flying, and have developed a strong desire for a Tandem LSA-compatible aircraft. I was truly hoping this was the RV-14. That is the other hole in their lineup. NOBODY has a good Tandem, low wing LSA.

So, I find this accidental leak from Van's a little disappointing if it is accurate. We'll see what comes to fruition.

I really would prefer to build an RV. Also watching the little CX5 Development as well as this: http://www.haim-aviation.com

dj

Highwing RV-10

In the video he states that he has been messing around with a design like a "high wing RV-10" with a cantilever wing and "really rugged" tricycle, torsion bar landing gear and a built in cargo pod.

I spoke with someone today who heard a supposedly good rumor source that the RV-14A is a bigger, widened "fat-boy" tri-gear version of the RV-7 with possibly the capability of seating 3 side-by-side or at least two side-by-side with lots of elbow room and large baggage capacity. Low wing, with a wing more like an RV-9 or possibly even a shortened RV-10 wing with big fuel tanks, and the IO-390 engine was also mentioned.

Anybody else hear anything along these lines?

Such a plane sure would be a great cross-country traveling cruiser.

Well, I was at Van's this past week, and I DID hear something...

It sounded a whole lot like active riveting. On what, I have no idea, but there was definitely activity behind that big door that Joe wouldn't open :). He did, however, succeed on sending us on a wild goose chase for lunch along the Oregon coast. We did five airports that day, three of which were supposed to have food. Much fun. Joe, don't let Tanya make you feel too bad. On our third try/stop, she saw a whale and commanded an immediate left turn to circle in the downwind :).
VansRV14.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a patient man so I can't / won't / don't get spooled up with curiosity as to what the next RV will be. My only hope is that it will be enticing enough to compell me to build. I'm not there yet ;)

I spoke with someone today who heard a supposedly good rumor source that the RV-14A is a bigger, widened "fat-boy" tri-gear version of the RV-7 with possibly the capability of seating 3 side-by-side or at least two side-by-side with lots of elbow room and large baggage capacity. Low wing, with a wing more like an RV-9 or possibly even a shortened RV-10 wing with big fuel tanks, and the IO-390 engine was also mentioned.

Three people across? How would that work?

can't wait

I am waiting on the facts on the RV14 before I commit to a partially completed RV10. If it is a four seater (or even a 3) with a high wing for us old farts who can't climb up, I will be all over it like poop in a babies diaper.

RV14?

RV14?

What can Vans do better? OR more???
Buy Cub Crafters? Sell Carbon Cubs?...... not!!!
Buy Zen Air?? Too uggley,, you uggley,, you are uggggely
Make a PP C180 kit? well it is not in production,,, but how many need a C180?
I like my RV8, 180 hp O-360,, hard to improve on that. 2200+ hours in RV's and I hope to get many more in the 'Borrowed Horse'

Last edited:
Look at the article concerning Vans in the latest sport aviation. Look at the shot of the CAD screen.....I see a double taper wing planform so I am guessing a motorglider.

Three across seating could be done like Burt Rutan did on the Catbird.
OSH11-Rutan-Catbird-Front-3-Seats.jpg

One seat middle/front and 2 on the sides behind.

Three across could also be as simple as a bench seat that two full size adults could fit in, with a child or very skinny person squeezed in the middle. Kinda like an early Datsun compact pickup truck's bench seat.

They advertised that as three across seating? Not sure that my Chief Financial Officer would like that arrangement! :D

catbird interior????

Three across seating could be done like Burt Rutan did on the Catbird.
OSH11-Rutan-Catbird-Front-3-Seats.jpg

One seat middle/front and 2 on the sides behind.

sorry to drift, but I've NEVER seen the inside of the catbird! Not to diminish the genius of Rutan, but if you're in row #2, ......ah, where do you stick your inside arm????......and aren't you gonna bang headsets, if not heads, with the folks in the 3rd row facing back?
I wonder if Burt ever travelled with 5 people in this? :)

I think Van's motorglider might just be in time for some of us builders lacking fuel and hangar funds!!!
( I wonder if it will have removable wings, or folding?)

Breaking news, maybe.

I just left Van's about an hour ago after a very nice tour of their facility given to us by Ken. So here we are standing in their open hanger and discussing the pros and cons of their different models and I ask Ken what's next for Van's and if there's anything new behind that big roll up door at the back of the hanger that's open about a foot off the floor. He looks at me and says he doesn't know nut-in. Says they don't tell him anything. Well a few minutes later one of the employees ask's everyone to please go next door into the shop cause they have to open the door to get a fork truck thru. We all go into the shop area for a few minutes and while Ken fields requests for demo rides the same guys comes thru the door and waves OK. Might mean absolutely nothing but it sure peeked my interest.

Despite some of the ridiculous meandering of this thread, going back to the initial posting - based on FAA records we know there is an RV-14. ;) Hopefully we'll know more on the 25th:

From the Airventure website -

7/25/2012 - 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM - Forum Pavilion 06 JP Instruments - Map What's New At Van's Aircraft? - Dick VanGrunsven, Ken Scott and Gus Funnell will give an update on what VAN's has done in the past year, and the latest models. Presented by: Richard VanGrunsven, Ken Scott, Gus Funnell, Van's Aircraft

Last edited:
New RV?

I know that Van has been working pretty steady on a glider or motor-glider. So that would be my guess...

I know that Van has been working pretty steady on a glider or motor-glider. So that would be my guess...

There has been evidence to suggest that it will have an IO-390 so I don't think it will be a motor-glider. Unless they planted the information to throw us off. :rolleyes:

I heard today from an impeccable source that it will be at Oshkosh. So no point in speculating, in a week we shall see. :)

Maybe...

According to FAA Registry, single engine, 2 seats. Someone said a Lyco 390, so maybe an improved -7a? Sounds serious if Van is giving the report himself....

We will soon know.

RV 14 A

IMHO. RV 9 High cantiliver wing, tricycle gear, Lyc O-233, 2place, side by side, EAB kit that will qualify in the light sport category would knock it out of the park.
Jay Kurtz
X49
Lakeland

RV-14

Stopped by KUAO today...

I was told that there is to be "an unveiling of a 'super secret' on Monday afternoon". :eek:

Also heard some news that may make me hold off on the -12 kit purchase for a year. :rolleyes:

Keeping the ear to the rails. Just hope the train sees me in time to stop.

RV14

Sounds like we will know on Monday what is rumor and what is real.

I have heard everything from a three seat RV with an IO-390, to the electric self launching motor glider. Interesting what people have come up with as speculation. We will know Monday, if the RV14 is actually what is to be unveiled.

Back