What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal particles in oil filter

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I recently changed the oil in my RV-10 (Lycoming IO-540 engine). The engine has a total of 50 hours and up till now it had been running break-in oil. This is the third oil change; once at 5 hours, again at 22 hours, and now at 50 hours. I didn't cut open and inspect the oil filter the previous two times as I wasn't aware it was something I needed to be doing, but this time I did. I found five small 'glints' of metal in the entire filter, just large enough to be seen when the light hits it right.

Just want to know how normal this is.

I recently changed the oil in my RV-10 (Lycoming IO-540 engine). The engine has a total of 50 hours and up till now it had been running break-in oil. This is the third oil change; once at 5 hours, again at 22 hours, and now at 50 hours. I didn't cut open and inspect the oil filter the previous two times as I wasn't aware it was something I needed to be doing, but this time I did. I found five small 'glints' of metal in the entire filter, just large enough to be seen when the light hits it right.

Just want to know how normal this is.

Depending upon how large a ?glint? is, doesn?t seem out of the ordinary for a new engine. Larry

Some or all of those "glints" could actually be carbon, which is harmless. Touch one of the specks, and get it on your finger, then rub the speck between your fingers. If the speck crumbles and turns into mush, or powder, then it is carbon.
You can also run a magnet through the filter, which will pick up ferrous metal, but not aluminum or carbon.
A few small specks of any material are normal. If you start seeing lots, say 1/8 tsp, then further investigation is warranted.
Google is your friend. Also articles by Mike Busch.

EDIT: Failed to see the link in the above post. :eek:

I didn't cut open and inspect the oil filter the previous two times as I wasn't aware it was something I needed to be doing, but this time I did.

Don't neglect to also remove, inspect, and clean the sump screen.

The screen catches large chunks upstream of the pump. The filter catches small stuff downstream of the pump.

I found five small 'glints' of metal in the entire filter, just large enough to be seen when the light hits it right. Just want to know how normal this is.

Quite normal for a new engine.

Metal in oil filter

I would cut all the paper oil filter out of the can, then wash the paper in gasoline. Save the residue through and run a magnet through it and see what sticks. That will tell you whether what you have is something to worry about.

Mike Hepperlen
A&P

I would cut all the paper oil filter out of the can, then wash the paper in gasoline. Save the residue through and run a magnet through it and see what sticks. That will tell you whether what you have is something to worry about.

Mike Hepperlen
A&P

So only Ferrous metal is a concern? No worries with non-ferrous metal in the filter?

-Marc

Back