- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Smile Busters or Blunders :-)

Just thought I would share a couple of pictures from our Buster & Blunder event last year. It was well scripted and well flown by everyone with safety the first priority.

All planes flew a fixed track with 2 mile separation (1 Minute) monitored by AirBoss Bob. Balloons were released on call 1 mile out (30 seconds) and ascend at about 500 feet per minute so most were at 250 to 300 feet in the air at the time of the pass down the runway. Airspeed was recommended at 120 MPH and any severe maneuver was a disqualification. All it really takes is seeing it early and then a nice smooth climb to impact the balloon . sounds simple

You can see it in action if you check out the videos by Paul Duff on the website www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com but here are a couple of still shots. And no the airplanes were not breaking them on knife edge Photos were from below That's our story and we're sticking to it!

Balloons have to be launched considering wind and drift potential ! A very scientific group here!

A lot of shouting helps them ascend properly . hot air rises

Was this a Buster or Blunder Ask Ron Moring

Check with Sid for the results of this pass...

There was a LOT of very scientific speculation about whether a 12 inch balloon could pass between the blades of a prop spinning at 2200 RPM. Most of the guys with recorded miss's swore it was possible and some folks substantiated that with a lot of math and science theory. Really nice work and it was going well as Excuse #1 and #2 but then someone asked them to explain how the 4 foot streamer got though with the balloon.... Oh Well . I guess we'll work on that theoretical possibility in October.

Hope to see you on the Mountain.... we have about 6 rooms left as of this morning. Be quick if you want a roof on the Mountain. Campers always welcome.

Bill

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid for 2019
Old 08-23-2019, 12:44 PM

This will be my first time. I have a set of horse shoes and Bocce ball. Are those allowed? I am also happy to donate thrm after if you have a use for them (or take them with me).
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Default wellll ....

Glad you're coming! About 30% of the registrations are new folks with the remaining being RePeats and RepeatRePeats You're going to have a great weekend!

Horse shoes are good as long as there are no horses involved :--) We are a horsepoop free facility!

Boccee Ball is probably way too sophisticated for this group, and no good place to play. Beer cans and large pine cones have always worked in the past

We're thinking the new event this year will be a bear race. We let a group sit in bacon grease after breakfast and then hit the trails.... whoever makes it back wins

See you on the Mountain
The Petit Jean Indians

Dues Paid for 2019
Old 08-24-2019, 05:16 PM

Default Room update

As of right now .... We think we have three rooms left at the RCC and plenty of camping available. See post 1 for details or check our website. Www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com.

See you on the Mountain 🤗
The Petit Jean Indians

Dues Paid for 2019
Old 08-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Room Update

As of Sunday Morning 8/25/19, out of 80 rooms on the Mountain, we have three left, two double queens, and a single queen. It's going to be a full scale RV'evolution on the Mountain. New plan for Flying events should make Saturday afternoon on the ramp pretty entertaining

Looks like we have 8-10 airplanes planning on coming in Thursday to help which probably means we will finishing setting up early and the Gathering will get a jump start with group dinner and liberal libations at Mather Lodge. For those that don't know what "libating" is all about, just come have a drink with us and we'll show you the drill

Please please, let us know by email for sure if you are coming in Thursday or earlier and need rooms. No problem camping but rooms need a little preplanning. As always, just plan on coming, let us know, and we'll cover you one way or the other

If you think you have contacted us about Thursday and don't get a confirming email before you come, hit us again!

See you on the Mountain
The Petit Jean Indians

Dues Paid for 2019
Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 PM

Default Bloody Marys

Leave room for a Bloody Mary, we will bring the pitchers.

Im gonna sharpen my propeller for the balloon pop.
RV-7A, Aerosport O-360, WW200RV
Advanced Flight 5400
Avidyne IFD440
Paint by planeschemer.com
Old 08-25-2019, 08:03 PM

Thumbs up

Van's will be there this year - I'm even making the trip in an RV this time, none of that commercial air travel stuff like last year! Probably in the RV-7A, but one way or another I'm definitely planning to be there. Looking forward to seeing everyone! And, I'll be hauling some Van's stuff with me of course.

If you haven't been to The Gathering on the Mountain before, get yourself registered and plan to make the trip!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Leave room for a Bloody Mary, we will bring the pitchers.

Im gonna sharpen my propeller for the balloon pop.
You might think about using a little of Kathy's lipstick and putting a gunsight on the windshield Just saying ..

See'ya on the Mountain!

Bill

Dues Paid for 2019
Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Default 2 Rooms Left 8/26/19

As of 8:00 PM. We have 2 rooms left of 80 available at the RCC, a bunch of campers registered for a total of 76 OnLine registrations including campers Do the funny math and it tells me we have a pretty good group of folks that reserved rooms who have not actually done/completed the online flyin registration. I see about 20 campers registered already so we should have about 100 total today (6 weeks out) if everyone who reserved a room also finished the online registration.

If you want one of those last two rooms, be quick! Click: WWW.PetitJeanFlyIn.com and RESERVE MY ROOM! It really works If you didn't also do the online registration please do. It is very important that we know you are coming so that we can insure you the most RV'Easy, Spouse Friendly Gathering that you have ever attended.

This is the direct link to the ON LINE REGISTRATION! If you have already been through the RESERVE MY ROOM process but did not complete the final OnLine FlyIn Registration . please help us out :-) General Fly In Registration no charge, no fees, just let us know you're coming! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BJVC9CV

See you on the Mountain
The Petit Jean Indians

Dues Paid for 2019

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 08-26-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Default RCC Room Update & WAIT LIST

Lucky guy, Kent Wright, got the very last room at the RCC. As far as we can tell, there are no rooms left at the Rockefeller Center, Mather Lodge, or Cedar Falls Motel. It's going to be another great year on the Mountain!

Now we are switching to wait listing for rooms at the RCC. Usually, we have several cancellations in the last week or two and fill 8-10 of those but that is no guarantee. From this point on, all deposits taken using the RESERVE MY ROOM PayPal process will be applied to the wait list group in order received.

Everyone who used the RESERVE MY ROOM PayPal process should have already received a note from the PJ Indians saying they have a room and will get final confirmation instructions this week after Memorial Day. We thank you greatly for your help and consideration.

SO...on to the WAIT LIST. Deposits placed for A room on the WAIT LIST assures you that IF a room is cancelled and becomes available you will be placed in order of deposit received. Only fair thing we know to do! BUT... unlike the guaranteed rooms and non-refundable deposits taken in up to this point, ANY DEPOSITS TAKEN ON THE WAIT LIST WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL IF YOU DO NOT END UP WITH A ROOM RESERVATION AT LEAST 24 HOURS OUT.

NONE OF THIS APPLIES TO CAMPERS...SO FAR, WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD ROOM FOR MORE CAMPERS BUT PLEASE COMPLETE THE ONLINE REGISTRATION SO THAT WE KNOW HOW MANY HEADS TO PREPARE FOR.

Check here for any updates!

See you on the Mountain!
The Petit Jean Indians

Dues Paid for 2019