What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scothbrite recommendations and source info?

ops_geek

Tooling up...

What Scothbrite (SB) pads and accessories are usef for a build? Pads? Drill press SB wheel? Bench grinder SB wheel? Air grinder SB disc? Part numbers or source info would be great.

Big 3m wheel from Vans for bench grinder
1” version of the same from Cleaveland Tool, mandrel and die grinder
2” version of the same for drill press
Maroon and green rolock ripoffs from HF, use with 90deg die grinder
Maroon 3m pads from amazon, cut them up and they will last longer

Take note that a good deal on 1" wheels can be had here:

http://www.surplussales.com/Tools-Accessories/T-Aabrasives.html

$15 for 50...

I bought a bag of both of those 1” wheels. While they do work somewhat, they are inferior to the 1” wheels like the ones sold by Cleaveland. They both are a different type material.
The ones sold as $15 for 50 last about 30 seconds and are way too soft. The ones sold $3 for 10 are closer to the good ones but only last about half as long. The pilot holes for the mandrel are off centered on some of them making them vibrate bad occasionally.

Last edited:
Hmm...

Odd. The ones I got were VERY similar to the ones I bought from Cleaveland. Both in hardness and longevity...I think they even have the same markings on them...have to check.

The other one, labeled Hard, I found to be much harder than the cleaveland ones...

Certain things are worth going for the brand name. Scotch is one of them. Tried own brand and it never lasts as long.

The ones I got in the bag are 3M branded...

Mine are as well (the ones in the bag) but they are some sort of different material. Much softer.

nMpOZODl.jpg

The one on the left is a genuine 3M G/P-7AM wheel. Came from Cleaveland Tool. This is the same material as the large wheel Van's and Cleavenland sell for a bench grinder. The performance of this material seems to be the gold standard. $6.85 each @ Cleaveland Tool.

The one in the middle is a genuin 3M G/P-7AF wheel. It came in a bag of 50 from Surplus Sales. It is soft compared to the one on the left and does not last long at all when used with a die grinder. $15 for 50 and includes a mandrel.

The one on the right is a mystery brand #421. It came in a box of 10 from Surplus Sales. It is harder than the one on the far left. It is visibly different in makeup. It works similar to the one on the far left but it last about half as long. Some of them have the pilot hole drilled off center causing wobbling vibration when used with a die grinder. $3 per box of 10 with no mandrel.

Last edited:
I have a few of those and use them only rarely. I don't have a Scotchbrite grinder wheel and have never seen a need for those.

Personally, I think that a good Vixen file, a couple of mill files and a set of small shaped files are all that's needed, plus a set of deburring tools.

I'm building an RV-3B, so I might have more need for tools than some of the other builders, but Scotchbrite wheels are only needed, in my opinion, for dressing out dings and goofs. For that, they excel.

Dave

I have a few of those and use them only rarely. I don't have a Scotchbrite grinder wheel and have never seen a need for those.

Personally, I think that a good Vixen file, a couple of mill files and a set of small shaped files are all that's needed, plus a set of deburring tools.

I'm building an RV-3B, so I might have more need for tools than some of the other builders, but Scotchbrite wheels are only needed, in my opinion, for dressing out dings and goofs. For that, they excel.

Dave

I am more of a "Norm Abram" kinda builder vs "Roy Underhill" :p

Files are definitely in my list of goto tools though.

Back