Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2016, 11:17 AM

My understanding of Canadian rules is that for an experimental airplane the equipment has to be equivalent to TSO in functionality. There is no requirement for it to be certified. I don't know how that is handled by the FAA. I certainly know what I would do, but I would not tell anyone else what they should do unless I thought it was a safety issue. To each his own.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisnar View Post
You may not like this, but......

According to the E-04 instructions...TSO-C142a PROHIBITS OPENING OR REPLACING CELLS. IF THE BATTERY PACK IS OPENED BY ANYONE EXCEPT THE MANUFACTURER IT IS NO LONGER AIRWORTHY, AND THE WARRANTY IS VOID.

So the answer is that while it's technically possible to replace the batteries, it's not legal to do so....
Not so fast.

Like I said in the bottom of the first post, the TSO doesn't seem to say this at all, check for yourself. Wishful thinking on ACK'S part? As far as voiding the warranty, it's already expired after 5 years.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-31-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
My understanding of Canadian rules is that for an experimental airplane the equipment has to be equivalent to TSO in functionality. There is no requirement for it to be certified. I don't know how that is handled by the FAA. I certainly know what I would do, but I would not tell anyone else what they should do unless I thought it was a safety issue. To each his own.
Scott - sorry to disappoint, but the Canadian rules with respect to ELTs require the units to be TSO'd, and to be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. This is irrespective of the type of airworthiness certificate issued in respect of the aircraft. In fact, the installation and maintenance manuals are controlled documents and form part of the document set which the manufacturer must submit in order to obtain TSO certification. This is how the design / manufacture / installation / maintenance of the product becomes a closed control loop, and it's only in the presence of that closed control loop that a TSO can be issued and kept valid.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:22 AM

Default ELT TSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Scott - sorry to disappoint, but the Canadian rules with respect to ELTs require the units to be TSO'd, and to be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. This is irrespective of the type of airworthiness certificate issued in respect of the aircraft. In fact, the installation and maintenance manuals are controlled documents and form part of the document set which the manufacturer must submit in order to obtain TSO certification. This is how the design / manufacture / installation / maintenance of the product becomes a closed control loop, and it's only in the presence of that closed control loop that a TSO can be issued and kept valid.
This is also true in the US...

Skylor
RV-8
Old 05-10-2016, 08:07 AM

An update on this thread - the battery maker SAFT which is the primary source for this type of cell has just been purchased by the French company TotalSA, no word yet on whether the marketing name will change or not. Just be aware they could be marketed by either/or.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:25 AM

I just replaced mine. I considered replacing the batteries myself but after finding a new one for $125 shipped vs $75-80 for replacements I just ordered new.
What I wanted to add was the new one came with a sticker on it specifically warning against replacing the batteries and voiding the TSO if it the case is opened...they must have seen this thread!
Also, I measured the voltage of the old battery at 12.09, and the new battery at 12.06. I'm not familiar with this type battery so I'm not sure how reverent that is, but I would have hoped the new one would measure higher.
Tim Andres
Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Default LiSO2 Battery Discharge Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2542 View Post
Also, I measured the voltage of the old battery at 12.09, and the new battery at 12.06. I'm not familiar with this type battery so I'm not sure how reverent that is, but I would have hoped the new one would measure higher.
Tim Andres
The LiSO2 battery discharge profile is very flat, until it is basically dead:
http://www.saftbatteries.com/system/...pdf?download=1

So open-circuit voltage is not indicative of remaining charge.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2542 View Post
I just replaced mine. I considered replacing the batteries myself but after finding a new one for $125 shipped vs $75-80 for replacements I just ordered new.
Tim Andres
Where did you get this deal?

Carl
Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 AM

Default Gulf coast avionics

I bought it from Gulf coast avionics, but I just looked again so I could post a link and it's gone up to $139
Tim Andres
Old 09-29-2016, 02:23 PM

We have received a number of calls recently asking if it is legal to replace the cells in the ACK E-04 TSO-C142a battery pack. Several callers referred to this thread.

The short answer in no. Opening the battery case,and replacing cells is forbidden by the TSO. The person who posted the instructions as most builders, plots and even mechanics do not have an understanding of the TSO requirements. All modern TSO’s over the last 25 years are simply a general outline of the requirements to be followed in receiving TSO approval, and always refer to a specific document, or documents which the product must be tested to and conform to in order to receive the TSO. Almost all avionic or electronic related TSO’s refer to RTCA documents. In this case the document is RTCA DO-227 Minimum Operational Performance Standards for Lithium Batteries which is 91 pages of test and manufacturing requirements.

I have attached the relevant sections of the document that prohibit replacement of the cells in a battery pack by anyone other than the manufacturer. There are also requirements to have a QC procedure in place that must be followed as a manufacturer, and requires we have certification from the cell manufacturer of each shipment, and have a specific Quality Control systems in place. The photo that shows the expiration date, manufacture date and lot number as required by the FAA provides reference to the Quality Control process documents that were in place when manufactured. One of our competitors ignored these requirements and had all the TSO’s approvals they held revoked. The FAA requested we label the battery with a warning removing the seal on the screws and opening the battery pack renders it un-airworthy.

The FAA and Canadian authorities are extremely concerned about Lithium batteries in aircraft bordering on paranoia. There new testing standards forthcoming that further address requirements for the use of non-rechargeable Lithium batteries in aircraft.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]