What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finished RV-12

Budlite

I'm New Here
Finished my RV-12 after 3 1/2 years. She flies very well. 40 hours flown off and enjoying the sky.

Yes, it's a UL 260iS. Performance is about equal to the carb rotax. I have flown one that a friend arranged. I'm at 4,680' here at Libby Field in SE Arizona so the DA can get pretty extreme, I've seen 9,000 here in June. She will climb out with two fat boys at 500-700 fpm depending on the temp. With just me she climbs out at 900-1,100 fpm.

Another builder in Brentwood, CA installed the UL350iS and he can exceed VNE in level flight. If I had it to do all over again I would go with that engine for flying in the mountains here. All of the 172's around here have the large engine mod and the larger Cessna's have turbo normalized systems.

Yes, it's a UL 260iS. Performance is about equal to the carb rotax. I have flown one that a friend arranged. I'm at 4,680' here at Libby Field in SE Arizona so the DA can get pretty extreme, I've seen 9,000 here in June. She will climb out with two fat boys at 500-700 fpm depending on the temp. With just me she climbs out at 900-1,100 fpm.

Another builder in Brentwood, CA installed the UL350iS and he can exceed VNE in level flight. If I had it to do all over again I would go with that engine for flying in the mountains here. All of the 172's around here have the large engine mod and the larger Cessna's have turbo normalized systems.

Has anyone installed the UL 350i model yet, at 118 HP? The weight of the two big boys, combined, and how close are you to the 1320 max gross weight? I ask, because I too am at 250, and buddy is at 215.

The UL260IS makes yours an E AB build, due to changing the motor, versus a E-LSA, for insurance purposes?

Last edited:
UL Power

Old thread, but really interested in hearing more feedback on this. On paper, that ULPower engine make a lot of sense, but the EAB vs E-LSA argument is always an issue that I have not completely resolved in my mind.

Back