What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Notification 16-11-02

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I'm trying to find a Van's RV-12 Notification for F-1204 Center Section Crack Repair. I only have page 1 of 8. I don't see this Notification listed on Van's website. Notification is 16-11-02. Any help appreciated...

Give Van's a call? Maybe they can email it to you? Have you tried referencing 12-11-09 yet, for more information?

... I don't see this Notification listed on Van's website. ...

Jim, how did you come across that notification? Was the center section of your plane repaired because of damage beyond the scope of SB 12-11-09?

I ask because I don?t believe this document was issued as a public Notification, I?ve never seen a copy. SB 12-11-09 requests you send photos to Van?s engineers for evaluation if cracks were found. Van?s may have used this notification as an LOA (Letter Of Authorization) to cover repairs that aren?t included in the MM or SB?s.

My guess is this wasn?t issued as a public notification because some owners may have proactively (and unnecessary) installed the doubler modification to ?improve? their 12.

My friend built a RV-12 about 8 years ago, remembered this Notice, and had copy only of first page.

I bought my airplane from original builder and it now has 520TT. I did SB 12-11-09 Center Section Modification at approx 200TT. I guess a little naive on my part, but I thought modification would be permanent fix and now I have small crack in aluminum gear channel emanating from rear outboard bolt on right side.

...I have small crack in aluminum gear channel emanating from rear outboard bolt on right side.

Jim, that notification in your first post was issued four years after the SB. You may not be the only one to discover post SB cracking. My advice is to follow the SB and send photos to engineering for their opinion and/or fill out a feedback form.

Jim, that notification in your first post was issued four years after the SB. You may not be the only one to discover post SB cracking.

Real eye opener... I suggest everyone take a good look at aluminum gear channel ? particularly at rear main bolts. Cracks may be hard to spot even with good lighting. If in doubt, use dye penetrant.

Correct. I operate from grass runway exclusively. I suspect that is contributing factor. Jury is still out on this...

Back