What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time for main tires

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
What do you folks normally look for when it's time for new tires for the mains? Brands, brand new, retreads?

Do you reuse tubes or always new tubes?

I've changed a ton of tires and tubes on mountain bikes, as well as cars when in school, but failure is nowhere near as severe or inconvenient as on a plane, splitting the rims to change and fix them.

Last edited:
I run Desser 500-5 6 PLY AWBS RETREAD ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE (ELITE) on mains for RV-12. These tires have a thick tread on the outside edges to counter the excessive wear from large camber angle on the un-sprung gear. Tires are ~$80. Desser ran a Thanksgiving sale three years ago and included a LeakStop tube free with each tire purchased. Been looking for that sale ever since...

These tires are a little bigger than original tires so check for 1/2" clearance to wheel fairing.

New

300 Hours

New again 3/20

What do you folks normally look for when it's time for new tires for the mains? Brands, brand new, retreads?

Do you reuse tubes or always new tubes?

I've changed a ton of tires and tubes on mountain bikes, as well as cars when in school, but failure is nowhere near as severe or inconvenient as on a plane, splitting the rims to change and fix them.

There must be at least four million threads in the archives on this subject. ;)

Here is a recent one (found with the Search engine):

http://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=179517&highlight=tubes

You will be as likely to find a consensus on this subject as whether to prime, tip-up/slider, Ford/Chevy/Honda, etc....etc.....

There must be at least four million threads in the archives on this subject. ;)

Here is a recent one (found with the Search engine):

http://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=179517&highlight=tubes

You will be as likely to find a consensus on this subject as whether to prime, tip-up/slider, Ford/Chevy/Honda, etc....etc.....

Guess I missed that as I pretty much only frequent the RV-12 section. Not even sure what size tires all the heavier RV series planes use. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Back